Terminal Arm Point P: Finding sin, cos, and tan for Θ in Standard Position

• Thread starter Nelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm Point
In summary, the task is to determine the exact values of sinΘ, cosΘ, and tanΘ given the coordinates of a point P on a terminal arm of an <Θ (theta) in standard position. The coordinates of point P are (-2,6) and 0<Θ<2pi. To find the values, the formula r=√(x^2+y^2) is used to calculate r, and then sinΘ is found by dividing the opposite side (y) by the hypotenuse (r). The correct answer is 3/√10, which was found by squaring the x coordinate before calculating r.
Nelo

Homework Statement

The coordinates of a point P on a terminal arm of an <Θ (theta) in standard position are given, where 0<Θ<2pi. Determine the exact values of sinΘ, cos Θ and tan Θ

2h) (-2,6)

Homework Equations

r= X +y

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first i found r by using r^2 = x^2 + y^2

and got r = √ 38

Since √ 38 cannot be factored to any lower form, i left that as the r.

Going to sin, I did op/hypotenuse

and got 6/√ 38 . However, this seems to be completely wrong as the answer is somehow 3/√ 10

I just don't see how that possible, anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to square the x coordinate when you calculated r.

oops, thanks sir.

What is Terminal Arm Point P?

Terminal Arm Point P is a point on the terminal arm of an angle in standard position. It is used to find the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for that angle.

What is Standard Position?

Standard position refers to an angle that is drawn on the coordinate plane, with its vertex at the origin and its initial side along the positive x-axis.

How do you find the value of sine for an angle in standard position?

To find the value of sine for an angle in standard position, you can use the ratio of the length of the opposite side to the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle formed by the angle.

How do you find the value of cosine for an angle in standard position?

To find the value of cosine for an angle in standard position, you can use the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle formed by the angle.

How do you find the value of tangent for an angle in standard position?

To find the value of tangent for an angle in standard position, you can use the ratio of the length of the opposite side to the length of the adjacent side in a right triangle formed by the angle.