How Does Mass Affect the Terminal Speed of Falling Objects?

How does an increase in mass affect the object's acceleration?Hypothesis: As the mass of the object increases, the forces acting on it after reaching terminal velocity will also increase. This is because an increase in mass results in an increase in weight, which in turn affects the object's acceleration. Therefore, it can be hypothesized that an increase in mass will lead to a longer time to reach the sensor.
HelloMotto
one way to determine how the terminal speed depends on the mass of an object is to observe the motion of flat-bottomed coffee filters falling vertically toward a motion sensor. My teacher told me we will do 3 sets of test. first one is with 1 filter, second with 2 stacked filters, and 3rd one with 3 stacked filters and see if there are difference in the time it takes to reach the sensor

#1 formulate an appropriate question for this investigation
so I wrote
does the mass of a object of same shape increase the time it takes to reach towards the sensor?

#2 Write your hypothesis to answer the question

so my answer to my question was
increase in mass increases the time it takes to reach the sensor.(i don't know how to explain this :( )

Did i do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1, you might consider changing the word "increase" to "change".

For #2, consider the following questions:

How are the forces acting on the object after it has reached terminal velocity related to each other?

How is object's weight related to its mass?

Yes, you have formulated an appropriate question for this investigation and have provided a hypothesis to answer it. Your hypothesis is correct, as an increase in mass would result in an increase in the time it takes for the object to reach the sensor due to the influence of gravity. In order to explain this, you could mention that an object with a greater mass experiences a greater force of gravity, which would cause it to accelerate at a slower rate and take longer to reach the sensor. Additionally, you could also mention that the surface area of the stacked filters may also have an impact on the terminal speed and thus the time it takes to reach the sensor.

What is terminal speed in a laboratory setting?

Terminal speed, also known as terminal velocity, is the maximum velocity that an object can reach while falling in a fluid (such as air) due to the balance of gravitational force and air resistance.

Why is it important to study terminal speed in a laboratory?

Studying terminal speed in a laboratory setting allows for a controlled environment to conduct experiments and collect accurate data. This information can then be used to understand the behavior of objects in free fall and their interactions with fluids.

How is terminal speed calculated in a laboratory experiment?

The equation for terminal speed is v = (mg)/k, where v is the terminal speed, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and k is the drag coefficient. In a laboratory experiment, the mass and drag coefficient can be measured, and the acceleration due to gravity can be assumed to be 9.8 m/s^2.

What factors can affect terminal speed in a laboratory experiment?

The factors that can affect terminal speed in a laboratory experiment include the mass and shape of the falling object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the presence of any external forces (such as air currents).

How can the results of a terminal speed lab be applied in real-world situations?

The understanding of terminal speed and its calculation can be applied in various real-world situations, such as analyzing the trajectory of a skydiver or the descent of a parachute. It can also be used in engineering and design to optimize the performance of objects in free fall, such as in the design of airplanes or skydiving equipment.