Calculating Force of Friction on a Bicyclist

In summary, we have two questions: 1) What is the value of b if a particle with a mass of 10^-10 g and a retarding force of bv has a terminal speed of 0.2 mm/s? The calculated value is -4.905e-08 kg/s, but it may not be correct. 2) For a bicyclist traveling in a circle of radius 26 m at a constant speed of 7.44 m/s with a combined mass of 95 kg, the force of friction exerted on the bike from the road is 202 N, but the total force exerted by the road on the bike cannot be simply calculated by adding the force of friction and the normal force,
ViewtifulBeau
with a terminal speed of 0.2 mm/s. The particle has a mass of 10^-10 g and a retarding force of the form bv. What is the value of b? i converted everything to SI and i got -4.905e-08 kg/s but it is wrong.. am i close?

another question...

A bicyclist travels in a circle of radius 26 m at a constant speed of 7.44 m/s. The combined mass of the bicycle and rider is 95 kg.

The force of friction exerted on the bike from the road is 202 N but i need to find the total force exerted by the road on the bike. I thought it would be 202 + mg (normal force) which would be 1130. but that is not right. then i tried just normal force so i did 95 * 9.81 and i got 932. and that is wrong too!

Physics news on Phys.org
2nd part: I may be wrong here, but because force is a vector quantity, and since the normal force and friction do not act in the same direction, you cannot simply add to find the total force.

For the first question, your calculation for the value of b is incorrect. To find the value of b, you need to use the equation F = bv, where F is the retarding force, b is the coefficient of friction, and v is the velocity. Rearranging the equation, we get b = F/v. Plugging in the values, we get b = 202/0.2 = 1010 kg/s. This is the value of b.

For the second question, you are on the right track. The total force exerted by the road on the bike is equal to the force of friction plus the normal force. So, the correct equation would be Ftotal = Ffriction + mg. Plugging in the values, we get Ftotal = 202 + (95*9.81) = 1090 N. This is the total force exerted by the road on the bike. Your first attempt of adding the normal force to the force of friction was correct, but you made a mistake in your calculation. Your second attempt of only considering the normal force was incorrect, as it does not take into account the force of friction that is acting on the bike.

1. How do you calculate the force of friction on a bicyclist?

The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the bicycle tires and the ground by the weight of the bicyclist and their bicycle. This will give the force of friction in Newtons (N).

2. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is typically represented by the symbol "μ" and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction).

3. How do you determine the weight of a bicyclist and their bicycle?

The weight can be determined by using a scale or by adding the weight of the bicyclist and their bicycle separately. The weight should be measured in kilograms (kg).

4. How does the force of friction affect a bicyclist?

The force of friction can make it more difficult for a bicyclist to pedal and maintain their speed. It can also cause the bicycle to slow down or stop if the force is greater than the force applied by the rider.

5. How can the force of friction be reduced for a bicyclist?

The force of friction can be reduced by using tires with a lower coefficient of friction, keeping the tires properly inflated, and using lubrication on the bicycle's moving parts. Additionally, maintaining a consistent speed can also help reduce the force of friction.