1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal Speed

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    with a terminal speed of 0.2 mm/s. The particle has a mass of 10^-10 g and a retarding force of the form bv. What is the value of b? i converted everything to SI and i got -4.905e-08 kg/s but it is wrong.. am i close?

another question...

A bicyclist travels in a circle of radius 26 m at a constant speed of 7.44 m/s. The combined mass of the bicycle and rider is 95 kg.

The force of friction exerted on the bike from the road is 202 N but i need to find the total force exerted by the road on the bike. I thought it would be 202 + mg (normal force) which would be 1130. but that is not right. then i tried just normal force so i did 95 * 9.81 and i got 932. and that is wrong too!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    2nd part: I may be wrong here, but because force is a vector quantity, and since the normal force and friction do not act in the same direction, you cannot simply add to find the total force.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?