What is the Terminal Velocity of Cats?

In summary, this was a funny article and someone decided to share it. The article says that if a cat falls out of a tall building, they should try to belly flop, because this will stop their fall. However, this does not make sense to me, because cats turn their feet down in tenths of a second, and from low heights they don't have to be relaxed.
Physics news on Phys.org
so if I fall out of a tall building should I try to belly flop?

tribdog said:
so if I fall out of a tall building should I try to belly flop?

I think it means that you should relax.

Cool runnings.

my brother's cat jumped off a 10 story balcony once. he chalked it up for dead/missing till a few days later someone told him there was a orange cat in the bushes down there and it turns out the cat wasn't in too bad shape.

FYI if your on a plane and your cat is shredding the furniture, you can throw it out the back and pick it up after you land.

But not during take off and landing.
There was a study of cats falling out of high rise buildings, for falls from low floors they are unharmed and from high floors where they reach terminal velocity.
But there is a death zone for middle floors where they don't have time to turn feet down and spread out.

mgb_phys said:
But there is a death zone for middle floors where they don't have time to turn feet down

Doesn't make sense to me. Cat turns feet down in tenths of a second, during first meter or so of fall, that's what they routinely do for millions of years (and that's what they are experts at). I am not neglecting fact that there is a death zone, I just doubt the reason as listed.

They have to turn feet down and also relax. From low heights they don't have to be relaxed, from the death zone heights they don't have time to get over the moment of terror and relax and from the high heights they are able to relax and survive.

Cats can survive long falls, but I don't think it has anything to do with terminal velocity or their reflexes or anything like that.

I believe the scientific explanation is that the cat does actually die when they land, but since they have nine lives, they go on living with eight more lives left.

Cats use noise to completely stop their fall. The yooowwwl-SPLAT sound at the end of the fall is clear proof of this hypothesis.

Wait until MoonBear sees this thread. Uh oh.

What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity is balanced by the drag force of the fluid.

Do all objects reach the same terminal velocity?

No, the terminal velocity of an object depends on its mass, size, and shape. Objects with a larger surface area or lower mass will have a lower terminal velocity.

What is the terminal velocity of a cat?

The terminal velocity of a cat can vary depending on its size, weight, and the air density in its environment. On average, the terminal velocity of a domestic cat is around 60 mph.

Can a cat survive falling at terminal velocity?

Yes, cats have a natural ability to spread out their body to increase air resistance and slow down their fall. Additionally, cats have a low body mass compared to their surface area, which helps reduce their terminal velocity.

Has the terminal velocity of cats been studied?

Yes, there have been several studies on the terminal velocity of cats. In the 1980s, a study by the New York City Animal Medical Center found that cats that fell from heights of 5-9 stories had a greater chance of survival than those that fell from higher or lower heights. This is likely due to the cat reaching its maximum terminal velocity in this range, allowing it to spread its body and decrease its impact on the ground.