1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal velocity

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1
    (dv_y)/(v_y+v_t) = (k/m)(dt) where v_y is y velocity, v_t is terminal velocity, k is fluid resistance constant, m is mass and t is time

This is my equation I derived for terminal velocity. I am going to integrate it for a function for position.

In my text, the limits of integration on the left side are written as V and 0. Right side is t and 0.

Could someone clear up the limits here? Like, there are 2 vs, v_y and v_t..what v is the limit referring to here? And I am a bit confused as to why the limits are needed here? I understand integration, but I am fairly new to it, maybe that's why!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Integrating the differential you have there won't give to position as a function of time, it will give you velocity as a function of time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?