Deriving and Integrating Terminal Velocity Equation for Position

In summary, the equation (dv_y)/(v_y+v_t) = (k/m)(dt) represents terminal velocity, with v_y being y velocity, v_t being terminal velocity, k being the fluid resistance constant, m being mass, and t being time. The integration of this equation will give velocity as a function of time, with the limits of integration being V and 0 on the left side (representing v_y and v_t) and t and 0 on the right side. These limits are necessary for the integration process and will not give position as a function of time.
Joza
(dv_y)/(v_y+v_t) = (k/m)(dt) where v_y is y velocity, v_t is terminal velocity, k is fluid resistance constant, m is mass and t is time

This is my equation I derived for terminal velocity. I am going to integrate it for a function for position.

In my text, the limits of integration on the left side are written as V and 0. Right side is t and 0.

Could someone clear up the limits here? Like, there are 2 vs, v_y and v_t..what v is the limit referring to here? And I am a bit confused as to why the limits are needed here? I understand integration, but I am fairly new to it, maybe that's why!

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrating the differential you have there won't give to position as a function of time, it will give you velocity as a function of time.

First of all, great job on deriving an equation for terminal velocity! It shows that you have a good understanding of the concept and are able to apply it in a mathematical way. Now, let's talk about integrating it for a function of position.

The limits of integration in this case are referring to the initial and final values of the variable being integrated. In this case, the left side of the equation is being integrated with respect to time (t), so the limits are 0 and t. This means that we are finding the area under the curve between the initial time (0) and the final time (t).

On the right side of the equation, we have a constant (k/m) multiplied by dt, which is essentially just a small change in time. This represents the change in velocity over a small period of time, and by integrating it, we are finding the total change in velocity over the entire time period.

As for the confusion with the two "v"s, the limit on the left side (v and 0) is referring to the variable v_y, which is the y velocity. This means that we are finding the area under the curve of the y velocity with respect to time. On the right side, we have v_t, which is the terminal velocity. This is a constant value, so it does not need to be integrated.

I hope this helps to clarify the limits and the overall process of integrating for a function of position. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Terminal Velocity Equation and why is it important in science?

The Terminal Velocity Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the maximum speed an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It is important in science because it helps us understand the forces acting on an object and predict its motion in different environments.

2. How is the Terminal Velocity Equation derived?

The Terminal Velocity Equation is derived by setting the forces of gravity and drag (air resistance) equal to each other and solving for the velocity at which these forces are balanced. This occurs when the object is falling at a constant speed, known as terminal velocity.

3. What factors affect an object's terminal velocity?

The terminal velocity of an object is affected by its mass, cross-sectional area, and the density and viscosity of the fluid through which it is falling. Objects with larger surface areas or higher densities will experience more drag and thus have a lower terminal velocity.

4. How is the Terminal Velocity Equation used in real-world applications?

The Terminal Velocity Equation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology to calculate the maximum speed of objects falling through air or water. This information is useful in designing parachutes, determining the impact force of objects, and predicting the behavior of weather phenomena like raindrops and hailstones.

5. Can the Terminal Velocity Equation be applied to all objects and fluids?

The Terminal Velocity Equation is most accurate for spherical objects falling through a uniform fluid. However, it can be generalized to other shapes and non-uniform fluids by incorporating additional variables and factors such as shape, drag coefficient, and fluid density gradients.