Terminal Velocity: Student Investigation & Incorrect Book Answer

In summary, the conversation is about a question in a physics book that asks whether a steel ball with a larger parachute will travel more quickly or slowly compared to other balls at terminal velocity. The group agrees that the book's answer is incorrect and that the ball with the larger parachute should have a slower terminal velocity. They also suggest that it may be a typo or a poorly worded question in the book. They also mention that doing an actual experiment is the best way to determine the correct answer.
Barclay
This is not a homework question. It is basic physics.

The question in the book relates to terminal velocity. I think the answer in the book is incorrect. Please advise.

Students are investigating how the area of a parachute affects the forces acting on it in freefall. Steel balls are attached to parachutes of varying sizes and then dropped from a fixed height, timing how long it takes to hit the ground.

Then the book asks a question:

Question: will the ball with the largest parachute will be traveling more quickly or more slowly than other balls traveling at terminal velocity?

I think the answer should be slowly but the book says quickly.

If you are the steel ball, wouldn't you rather have a large surface area parachute so that you fall slowly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the balls all the same mass?

I agree with you. It is difficult to second-guess the book without better context.

Given identical steel balls and different parachutes, the ball/parachute pair with the larger parachute should have the slower terminal velocity.

The ball with the larger parachute will reach (or approach) its terminal velocity in less elapsed time. But the wording of the question seems to make this fact irrelevant.

The balls are all the same size and mass. Only the parachute is changed

The book author is wrong. If you are ever in a crashing airplane with him and there is only one parachute, you will be a lucky man.

I agree. book is wrong. Not the first time.

I have fallen at Terminal Velocity many times and I always found that a parachute slowed me down, On the 1 occasion that I used a smaller parachute I believe that I fell faster than with the larger parachute and a lot slower than without the parachute. I would always prefer to hit the ground with an open parachute than without a parachute. Text books do not always have correct answers and/or information. Nothing beats doing your own experiment. (Typos edited)

Is this the exact formulation gound in the book? I can also imagine the book asking which of the balls reach terminal velocity more quickly, but this is pure speculation as I do not have the book. See also post #3. If this is not the case, I agree with previous posters.

I have re read the question as posted "Question: will the ball with the largest parachute will be traveling more quickly or more slowly than other balls traveling at terminal velocity? " and I realize that I don't understand the question. Perhaps it has not been types correctly.

The question seems ok to me.

The ball with the largest parachute will be traveling more slowly than other balls (which have a small or no parachute) at terminal velocity.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid (such as air or water). It occurs when the force of gravity pulling the object down is balanced by the force of air resistance pushing against the object.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating terminal velocity is v = √(2mg/pAC), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, p is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass and shape of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the altitude (since air density decreases with altitude). Additionally, the presence of external forces, such as wind or air turbulence, can also impact terminal velocity.

4. How does terminal velocity differ for different objects?

Terminal velocity varies for different objects because it is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and surface area. Objects with a larger surface area or a lower density will typically have a lower terminal velocity, while objects with a smaller surface area or a higher density will have a higher terminal velocity.

5. Why is it important to conduct a student investigation on terminal velocity?

Student investigations on terminal velocity allow for hands-on learning and a better understanding of the concept. It also allows students to apply the scientific method and practice critical thinking skills. Additionally, the results of the investigation can be compared to the incorrect answer in the book, promoting a deeper understanding of the topic.