1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal voltage

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    "A battery labeled as 12.0-V is measured to supply 1.90 A to a 6.00-W resistor (see figure). (a) What is the terminal voltage of the battery? (b) What is its internal resistance?"
    I'm not sure how to solve this problem...

I originally did R = V/I = 6.32 Ohms, and E = 12V, so V = E - IR = 0... but that is obviously wrong
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that the resistor value is given in watts, which is a measure of power.

4. Jun 1, 2006 #3
    Your method would work had the cell had negligible internal resistance .
    Note that the battery is only marked 12V. This is not the actual voltage drop across the load resistance .
    You can start off by finding the value of the resistor . It is given that current through the resistor is 1.90 A .
    What is the relation connecting power and current ?

Then you must find what the value of a resistance connected in series should be , so that from the 12 V source, a current of 1.90 A is drawn. This is the internal resistance .
    Now find the voltage drop across load resistor, this will be terminal voltage.
    Can you follow ?

Edit : 6W may be the power consumed by the resistor when 1.9 A flows theough it .
  5. Jun 1, 2006 #4
    P = I2R
    R = 6/1.92 = 1.66 ohms
    now what?
    not really...:confused:
  6. Jun 1, 2006 #5
    [tex]I = 1.90A, P = 6.00W, V = 12V[/tex]

[tex]R_{load} = \frac{P}{I^2} = 1.66\Omega[/tex]

[tex]V_{emf} = 12V = I \cdot R_{total} = I \cdot R_{load} + I \times R_{internal}[/tex]

[tex]R_{internal} = 4.65\Omega[/tex]

but can't I just skip all that and do

[tex]V_{terminal} = I \cdot R_{load} = 3.16 V[/tex]

The answer is supposed to be 11.4 V...what am I doing wrong?:frown:
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  7. Jun 2, 2006 #6
    What you have done is completely correct . In your original question, it was asked to calculate the internal resistance as well as the terminal potential difference .And of course you should skip and use
    [tex]V_{terminal} = I \cdot R_{load}[/tex].
    However, from the answer that you have provided , it seems that in the question, it is given that the value of the resistance is indeed 6 ohms .
    So you need not consider power at all and I am sure you can do the rest.
    It is much simpler as compared to the question that we have been discussing .

8. Jun 2, 2006 #7
    so i guess it was a typo...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?