Terminate This If You Can!

• Thread starter tehno
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

bet ya many of you can't figure this one out.
don't rush with your conclusion.
the solution is not what you may think at first glance.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

bet ya many of you can't figure this one out.
don't rush with your conclusion.
the solution is not what you may think at first glance.
Could you post a link to somewhere other than the physics forums? I know many of us can't actually see attachment files on the site for whatever reason...

DaveE

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yea, I can't see the attachment files either-- it's only seems to be in the brainteasers forum though... strange!

It's to preserve bandwidth issues I suspect. Otherwise, everyone would bog down the server if there were tons of attachments being viewed from physicsforums. I believe those who sponsor the forums have those priveleges.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I always presumed it was more of a censorship/monitoring issue - ensuring nothing nasty was attached. Never followed through on the logic of that though.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It's to preserve bandwidth issues I suspect. Otherwise, everyone would bog down the server if there were tons of attachments being viewed from physicsforums. I believe those who sponsor the forums have those priveleges.
It seems a bit strange that only one subforum has the attachments only viewable to PF contributors though.

I always presumed it was more of a censorship/monitoring issue - ensuring nothing nasty was attached. Never followed through on the logic of that though.
All attachments must be approved, but before they have been approved , the attachment says "attachment pending approval" and doesn't provide a clickable link.

I think I'll ask about this in the feedback forum, since I thought I was just me that this happened to!

Last edited:
The attach is still on pending.Patience people.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyway first guess at the answer, KBI?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The encryption on p9? (Jeez, do these guys ever not know how to format a document!)
Yeah I was wondering whether people would get that question 8 or if i should post the page number.

Anyway first guess at the answer, KBI?
Wrong.
:confused: :zzz:

cristo said:
Yea, I can't see the attachment files either-- it's only seems to be in the brainteasers forum though... strange!
Yeah,I've always had a feeling that this part of PF is the crapiest one.
:smile:

Last edited:
The questions and diagrams in the PDF from that link are ridiculous!

Are you guys good at answering this stuff? I don't even know where to start with half of these.

Guess: LJK

Are you guys good at answering this stuff? I don't even know where to start with half of these.
No wonder it's a test for exceptional intelligence. :tongue:

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

The Haselbauer-Dickheiser test was designed to test intelligence in the range of 180 and greater.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I wonder of there's a timeline for the test. I might be able to get a few of them with enough time.

Last edited:
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wonder of there's a timeline for the test. I might be able to get a few of the visual ones (such as #1 or 2) with enough time.
There was never a time limit given (as far as i know) but I presume when it was used you'd get a reasonable amount of time 2-3h or something.

The Haselbauer-Dickheiser test was designed to test intelligence in the range of 180 and greater.
Which encompasses less than 1% of the world's population, I assume (I have the phrase "Less than 1% of the worlds population has an IQ over 135" in my head but I am not sure if that's correct. The picture looks valid in my head though!).

How many get over 180?????

turbo
Gold Member
The answer is JGD. The primary sort is on the number or intersections or crossings, and secondary sorting is reverse-alphabetic order.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I rather enjoyed #21. Took me only 20 minutes. I did it formally (i.e using arithmetic algebra, no guessing or measuring).

I've seen #23 before but no matter how I tried, I never found a solution.

Last edited:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
The answer is JGD. The primary sort is on the number or intersections or crossings, and secondary sorting is reverse-alphabetic order.
Are you referring to #9? The cryptogram?

P.S. I'm not sure we should really be publicly providing the answers here.

Last edited:
These were indeed very interesting problems. Thanks for posting them :)

Or those good at maths methinks, I think artists with no formal training in maths with an IQ of 180+ would be screwed by this test.:rofl: IQ tests are so arbitrary. Test creativity: now there's the problem, until you can an IQ test is as meaningless as any of the silly tests posted on this forum: are you a pervert, IQ asks one question, how have you been educated, and do you have inate ability, if we placed genius solely in the realms of IQ 180+ we'd have a very slim field. Feynman to name but one. I'd put him above anyone with an IQ of 180+, because intelligence unapplied is as pointless and arbitrary as a number called IQ. IQ tests are curiosities nothing more nothing less.

I looked at this test and thought why? It's obviously so biased it's unbelievable. How many of you could have done well without your maths training?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Or those good at maths methinks, I think artists with no formal training in maths with an IQ of 180+ would be screwed by this test.:rofl: IQ tests are so arbitrary. Test creativity: now there's the problem, until you can an IQ test is as meaningless as any of the silly tests posted on this forum: are you a pervert, IQ asks one question, how have you been educated, and do you have inate ability, if we placed genius solely in the realms of IQ 180+ we'd have a very slim field. Feynman to name but one. I'd put him above anyone with an IQ of 180+, because intelligence unapplied is as pointless and arbitrary as a number called IQ. IQ tests are curiosities nothing more nothing less.

I looked at this test and thought why? It's obviously so biased it's unbelievable. How many of you could have done well without your maths training?
Hey I never made the test I merely stated what it claimed it was designed for :smile: