Terminate This If You Can!

• Thread starter tehno
  • Start date
Hey I never made the test I merely stated what it claimed it was designed for :smile:

It's poor, let's face it.

If you made Leonardo De Vinci take it he'd score badly or a linguistics genius with no formal maths training or x. It is essentially designed to establish what you already know, that those who are brilliant at maths will do well at it, and few others.

I'm not criticisng the test per se or you, just what you can gleen from doing well at it, essentially your education and ability at maths and little else.

The comparison with the "are you a pervert" test is apposite IMO.

That said it's absolutely perfect for a physics forum.

Last edited:
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Whatever it is its an interesting set of puzzles for your spare time.

Whatever it is its an interesting set of puzzles for your spare time.

Not for me I don't have the maths skills yet.:smile: that makes me a dunce I guess, but as I said it's perfect for PF.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
If you made Leonardo De Vinci take it he'd score badly or a linguistics genius with no formal maths training or x. It is essentially designed to establish what you already know, that those who are brilliant at maths will do well at it, and few others.
I am not so sure of this.

I haven't come across any actual math that is beyond the basic level. The key to these puzzles is to be resourceful at looking for patterns and dealing with abstractions. The fact that these are representable in mathematical terms does not mean this is all about math.

True, mathematicians use this skill a lot, and I grant that mathematicians will surely have a leg up in this test, but creative types and other clever people will be able to spot these patterns and abstractions too.

I am not so sure of this.

I haven't come across any actual math that is beyond the basic level. The key to these puzzles is to be resourceful at looking for patterns and dealing with abstractions. The fact that these are representable in mathematical terms does not mean this is all about math.

True, mathematicians use this skill a lot, and I grant that mathematicians will surely have a leg up in this test, but creative types and other clever people will be able to spot these patterns and abstractions too.

indeed it's not as if it's going to make it impossible for the untrained mathemetician to do well it just means it's not completely representative, in the same way as the IQ system tests for a westernised medium. Quite apart from it missing out some key pointers to achievement.

Roq
Are you supposed to be allowed pen and paper for #2? It looks just like simultaneous equations, but to attempt it without paper seems a little agonizing.