Is there a termination function in C?

• Thread starter rocketboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, there is no specific command in C that terminates a program. However, you can easily check for a user input of "0" using various methods. If the user is simply pressing the "0" button, the possible solutions are to use the exit() function or the assert statement.
rocketboy
Hey,

I was just wondering if there is a simple command in C that terminates the program.

So say I am getting input from the user, and if they type '0' I want the program to terminate, I would use this in an if statement to close the program.

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
As far as I know, no such function exists, at least not in stdio.h. You can still pretty easily check if input is "0." If you're getting a char, see if "the_gotten_char=getchar() == '0'". If you're reading a string, see if "atoi(input_string) == 0".

If you mean to just press the 0 button (not input "0"), then I don't know...

http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/cstdlib/exit.html

- Warren

exit(1)...but you could always do

main...
{
while (true)
{ if(key==0) break;
}
}

Last edited:
exit(1) or assert (for assert #include <assert.h>) should do the trick

thx everyone!

1. What is the termination function in C?

The termination function in C is the exit() function, which is used to terminate a program and return control to the operating system. It is typically called when the program has completed its task or when an error occurs.

2. How is the termination function used in C?

The termination function is used by calling the exit() function and passing in an integer value as a parameter. This value is returned to the operating system and can be used to indicate the status of the program execution.

3. What is the purpose of the termination function in C?

The purpose of the termination function is to gracefully end a program and return control to the operating system. It allows for proper cleanup and shutting down of the program before exiting.

4. Can the termination function be used to return a value?

Yes, the termination function can be used to return an integer value to the operating system. This value can be used to indicate the status of the program execution, such as success or failure.

5. What happens when the termination function is called in C?

When the termination function is called, the program will immediately stop execution and return control to the operating system. Any remaining code in the program will not be executed and any resources allocated by the program will be released.