1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminologies for laser

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

wavelength 1.08um
    pulse duration 20ns
    pulsed energy 700mJ
    pulse rate 15Hz

=> Total number of pulses ~1800 per run
    Came across in a paper published. Was thinking a way to calculate the numbers of pulses ?

2. Relevant equations

laser beam comes in pulses with pulse duration as the bullet length while pulse rate as the firing rate of the gun. While pulsed energy tells amount of gun powder per bullet.

3. The attempt at a solution
    tried google until i read about the above explanation from this forum. Any book to recommend ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

You pretty much nailed it. It's not that esoteric to laser physics, anyway. One slight clarification: "bullet length" = pulse duration times speed of light. Usually, in (table top) laser experiments, it is convenient to distinguish time and space (whereas in, e.g., special relativity, it is convenient to treat them as the same thing).

Sorry, I don't know of a book off the top of my head.

4. Jul 9, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF. What is it you want to know? They tell you, each run uses 1800 pulses.

5. Jul 10, 2009 #4
    Is there anyway to verify those data ?

Does it meant that the time for each run is, t = num pulse/pulse rate = 1800/15 = 120s

6. Jul 10, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not really, unless you call up or email the people who made those measurements and ask them.

Yes, exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook