1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminology: Inequalities

  1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all

    What is a ">" called in English, and likewise, what is ">=" called in English?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2


    Staff: Mentor

    > - "greater than"
    >= "greater than or equal to"
  4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    I mean what are the symbols called? Translating what we call it here, in English it would be something like a "sharp inequality" and a "soft inequality" respectively (these are not the correct English terms, according to Google).
  5. Nov 27, 2009 #4


    Staff: Mentor

    Maybe "strictly greater than" for >, and "strictly less than" for <. I don't think there is corresponding terminology for >= and <=.

    The symbol > is sometimes called "right angle bracket", and < is called "left angle bracket."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Terminology: Inequalities
  1. Logic Terminology (Replies: 1)

  2. Inequality proof (Replies: 12)

  3. Quadratic inequality (Replies: 2)

  4. Quadratic inequality (Replies: 1)

  5. Proving inequality (Replies: 16)