1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminology Query

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    Hi. I'm trying to convey that all physical events occur at a point in spacetime describing the position and time at which they occur but it's for a presentation and there's not much room on the slides so I need to keep it brief.
    At the moment I have:
    "Any physical event can be described by a point in spacetime."
    But it just occured to me that this is perhaps not the best as the point in spacetime doesn't actually descirbe the event. For example, if some electromagnetic interaction were to occur, the point in spacetime would tell us the where and when this event happens but not what the actual content of the event is.

Can someone suggest a more succinct way of putting this please.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    I think I would separate spacetime and change the opening words so that it says, "Any physical situation that can be described by a certain location in space and time is called an event" or something similar to that. The important part, I think, would be separating "spacetime" into "space and time."

EDIT: I'm a horrible writer, completely neglected the word "that"

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook