Calculate Pressure Ratio of Helium and Argon with Equal Mass at Same Temperature

• Thread starter Termodinamica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: So pv/t=p2v2/t2 .Find the pressure at which the gas will have the same volume as at the initial temperature.At 6K the gas will have 3x the volume.At 0.5K the gas will have 1.5x the volume.At 10K the gas will have 10x the volume.At 100K the gas will have 100x the volume.At 500K the gas will have 500x the volume.In summary, at 6K the gas will have 3x the volume, at 0.5K the gas will have 1.5x the volume, at 10K the gas will have 10x the volume, and at 100K the gas will have
Termodinamica

Homework Statement

In 2 identical containers we have equal mass of helium and Argon at the same temperature.The ratio of the 2 pressures (pressure 1 and pressure 2) knowing that μ helium= 4 kg/kmol and μ argon= 40 kg/kmol is:
a 0.1 b 10 c 5 d 40 e 1/5

Homework Equations

i don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know

Physics news on Phys.org
What macroscopic equation gives the behaviour of ideal gases?

idk tell me
i got bad marks at physics

idk =?

pv=nrt?
i don't know man physics is not my main thing

pV=nRT

Correct.

Now see what is identical in both cases and hence try to see on what physical quantity does p depend.

p=nrt/v
?
can you please give more hints?

Temp is the same for both.
What else is the same?

R constant and T
n is the quantity
EDIT:Was joking man i know how to do it p1v=m/miu RT

Last edited:
Correct.
But if you read the problem CAREFULLY you will notice that there is something else constant.

HAHAAHAH man now i don't understand
p1v=U x R
??

Which gas has the bigger volume?

grzz said:
Which gas has the bigger volume?

Argon i think.

is the argon in a bigger container?

grzz said:
is the argon in a bigger container?

no. what to do?

Each gas in an IDENTICAL container. Hence the volume ...

Ok so volume is constant.Here is what i made so far.
Find p1 and p2
P1=1/μ helium *R
P2=1/μ argon *R

and then P2/P1 = 10.

so from those answers: a) 0.1 b)10 c)5 d)40 e)1/5

the right one is b?

P argon/P helium = 0.1

P helium/P argon = 10

grzz said:
P helium/P argon = 10

so its 10?
i did it good?
can you help me at the other problem too? :D

which problem?

At boiling whit 1K(kelvin) of a gas whit constant pressure the volume is 3 times bigger.The initial temperature of the gas in this process has the value:
a. 6K b 0.5 K c 10K d 100K e 500K

Which equation gives the behaviour of an ideal gas?

pv/t=p2v2/t2

Cross out the P because it is the same on both sides.

yup so v/t = v2/t2 .
What i do next?

Now put in the values you know to get what you do not yet know.

So T2= t1 +1k?
V2 = 3V1?
WE know that the second volume is 3x bigger then the first volume.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature?

To calculate the pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature, you will need to use the ideal gas law equation: PV = nRT. First, determine the number of moles (n) of each gas by dividing the mass of the gas by its molar mass. Then, plug in the values of pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), and the ideal gas constant (R = 8.314 J/mol*K) into the equation. Finally, solve for the pressure ratio by dividing the pressure of helium by the pressure of argon.

2. Why is it important to calculate the pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature?

Calculating the pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature is important in understanding the behavior of gases under different conditions. It allows us to compare the properties of different gases and determine their relative pressures in a given system.

3. What factors influence the pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature?

The pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature is influenced by the number of moles of each gas, the volume of the system, and the temperature. This is because these factors affect the pressure of each gas according to the ideal gas law equation.

4. Can the pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature change?

Yes, the pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature can change if any of the factors that influence it (number of moles, volume, and temperature) change. For example, if the volume of the system decreases while the number of moles and temperature remain constant, the pressure ratio will increase.

5. How is the pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature used in real-world applications?

The pressure ratio of helium and argon with equal mass at the same temperature is used in various industries, such as in the production of semiconductors and in cryogenic applications. It is also important in understanding the behavior of gases in different physical and chemical processes, and in research and development of new technologies.