1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ternary expansion

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    Hi guys, I'd like to ask about ternary expansions. they seem easy but i'm having a hard time doing this as well as searching for tips online, specifically for [tex]x \in [0,1][/tex].

I know that ternary expansions are similar to decimal expansions but for example, how do you find the ternary expansion of [tex]\frac{5}{3^3}[/tex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In base 3, 5= 3+2 is [itex]12_5[/itex]. Of course, [itex]9= 3^2[/itex] is [itex]200_3[/itex] so the fraction 5/9, in base 3, would be the fraction [itex]12/200[/itex]. Can you write that in "trinary"?

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    Hi hallsofivy, sorry I didnt quite understand your reply.

And oh, it's 5/27 not 5/9. Perhaps a better way of explaining it to me would be how to identify the coefficients [tex]a_k[/tex] such that [tex]\frac{5}{27} = \sum \frac{a_k}{3^k}[/tex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook