• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mars
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Last edited:
What no!! some of the dry ice gets transformed into CO2 during the summer. The vast majority stays frozen.

There is also allot of CO2 in the soil.

If we could heat the planet 5-6 degrees then we'd get a proper atmosphere with proper pressure

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What no!! some of the dry ice gets transformed into CO2 during the summer. The vast majority stays frozen.

There is also allot of CO2 in the soil.

If we could heat the planet 5-6 degrees then we'd get a proper atmosphere with proper pressure
Nikitin, as per the PF rules that you agreed to when you signed up it is not enough to simply claim someone is wrong before making your own claim. You need a reference to back you up.

You may very well the right, a quick wiki search did not confirm to me what you have said is true however if you have a citation from a reliable source I would be more than happy to read it.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hmm clicking on the link that that part of the wiki references takes us to this national http://channel.nationalgeographic.c...th-4588/living-on-mars#tab-living-on-mars/10" which itself has no links to published data showing where it got it's information from, it also doesn't say the same thing that the wiki article does. Just googling the 300millibar line from wiki brings up page after page that seem to take the info from wikipedia.

Earlier I did a trawl through various sources to try and find where this claim comes from but found nothing. If you could provide a link to peer-reviewed studies I would be happy to read it, the only research I could find just reiterated the fact that dry ice accumulates in winter and that there is carbon dioxide in Martian soil. I started at http://www.sciencedirect.com/" [Broken] and searched for various terms such as carbon dioxide/dry ice/mars soil/mars atmosphere etc.

EDIT: I've found one paper that says
The released carbon dioxide will increase the atmospheric pressure and further warm the planet by creating a runaway greenhouse effect. Estimates of the amount of this carbon dioxide vary from 2 to 200 kPa (20–2,000 mbar), but for purposes of planetary ecosynthesis an intermediate amount of 10–40 kPa (100–400 mbar) would be adequate for the early stages.
Frustratingly it has no references for this though. I am also highly sceptical of the veracity of this paper as it chooses atmospheric pressures that the authors hypothesise could exist on Mars and then presents life on Earth that grow on mountains whilst merely paying lip service all the other problems of providing for this life (correct soil, light etc). Like most other terraforming papers this one has no real or concrete science, instead it takes data and suggests "perhaps this is possible". Whilst true without a far better understanding of how to build complex ecosystems statements along the lines of "if we get pressure X we could drop in plant Y and grow Y forests" are no very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I have made multiple requests that this thread stay in line with PhysicsForums standards.

That hasn't happened, so thread closed.