Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terraforming mars?

1. Mar 27, 2004 #1
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/news/story/0,12976,1179710,00.html

personally, i think we need to wait until we have a more conclusive look at what current life there is (if any) on mars and then decide if this is an ethical idea...even then, it may be absolutely impracticle...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2004 #2
    So basically they want to create another earth? How plausible is this idea?

Are these genetically engineered plants? How plausible is this?

How is it not ethical? How would we "have done some devastating things to the planet"? If its a temporary affect, why the big deal? why worry?

[sigh] will we ever give up on mars? Why are we so obssessed with it?

4. Mar 28, 2004 #3
    1. Yes, another Earth. It is quite feasible if we can bombard it with ice-teroids and comets and release greenhouse gases.

2. If there are martian bacteria still there, then the new environment would devastate their ecology. Xenocide, I guess you could call it.

3. We're obsessed with it, because it has similarities in the day, polar ice, seasons, variable winds, and the possibility of life. The latter reason is the most compelling to go there. We want to know if we are alone or not. Out of all those trillions of planets in our galaxy, are we freaks? Are we the last intelligent beings beings of the Milky Way? We might as well take a small step, and achieve more proximity to the truth.

5. Mar 28, 2004 #4
    But we've probed mars for so long a time that I think we might as well give up. There is NO life (intelligent, conscious [not subconcsious]) on mars. So I'm for this terraforming idea.

do you mean to say that you believe there were intelligent beings before us?

Is Xenocide the actual term for it?

6. Mar 28, 2004 #5
    Ah, we've probed it for a long time, but not everywhere. We've not checked Valles Marinaris, or the inside of Mons Olympus. Places where there is more heat, or was. Then, we could find if not bacteria, at least fossils of them.

If they existed, they might have died out, probably from a planetary collision, nuclear war, or even rampant computers/nanomachines. The universe is old enough to have allowed thousands of civilizations to form, yet we can't find any.

To quote Enrico Fermi on his paradox, "Where are they? If they existed, they'd be here."

I believe 'Xenocide' is the unofficial term for it. It's basically the killing of a species that is alien to us. Since we have not discovered any extra-terrestial entities or life, it's a useless word right now.

I'm all for bacterial and perhaps low-multicellular life. But the thing is, there's no evidence of present day societies beyond our system. I don't know; you don't know. Not until we look closer will obtain the truth.

7. Mar 28, 2004 #6

Janitor

Science Advisor

Not that my mind is in the gutter-

It seems to me that one of the reasons for societies to have the written and unwritten rules they have on sexual behavior is that humans are locked in a battle with pathogens that can be transmitted through that "vector," to use a clinical term for sexual contact. Do you suppose that when it comes time to build a colony on Mars, the colonists will be screened for such diseases and quarantined before launch, such that on launch day they are known to have no STDs lurking in their systems? If so, then I would guess that some of the Earthbound rules will no longer be applicable among the colonists on Mars. Just as an example, monogamy may lose some of the importance that it has in most Earthly societies.

This was just a thought on my part. I can't remember ever hearing this idea brought up in anything I've read, but it seems plausible to me.

8. Mar 28, 2004 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The idea of building a population with no STD is dangerous. Think what happened to the native americans, when the europeans introduced measles! A better scheme would be to use genetics to hurry the evolution of natural protection to fast-evolving retrovirus diseases.

9. Mar 28, 2004 #8

Janitor

Science Advisor

SelfAdjoint,

As I was writing my post above, I was grinning a little at the thought of all those 1930s-era science fiction pulp stories about people secretly stowing away on spaceliners going to other planets. You know, when and if interplanetary spaceships get really big, that might actually become a security issue!

10. Mar 28, 2004 #9
    On a planet like earth, doesn't the contiential ehh.. plates? land parts? completly renew every few millions of years or so (being sucked down, melted and exhausted as lava on opposite side) (not sure about the exact time), thus, removing all traces of our civilzation? Marks on the moon and alike would be erased by meteors quickly.

11. Mar 28, 2004 #10

Janitor

Science Advisor

Fossils have been dated in some cases to hundreds of millions of years old, so clearly there are parts of Earth's crust that are not being reprocessed all that quickly.

12. Mar 28, 2004 #11
    Everything required for life is there, it's a matter of time and effort and that the people who seek to control others through money and power will rise to the top and find enough ways to abuse democracy thus providing the motivation to move out like teenagers from their parents house. The president of today is the son of the president of yesterday, out of all the good people in this country why should this be so? It's good to move out of one's parents house though or this is my opinion of the motivation behind moving around not that all or even most people who seek to control others are bad we seem hardwired as a species to look to our fearless leaders, but things are likely to be better the more democratic the system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?