Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terrestrial phenomena significantly influenced by GR?

1. Nov 19, 2004 #1
    What natural terrestrial phenomena are significantly influenced by general relativity?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2004 #2

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I lift my legs up I fall down?

The sky is dark at night?

Garth

4. Nov 19, 2004 #3
    Just about everything.

5. Nov 19, 2004 #4
    How about affect on electromagnetic phenomena?

6. Nov 19, 2004 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Atomic clocks are sensitive enough that they "tick" noticably different depending on their elevation. There is a coordiinate time known as TAI time that is defined by averages the contributions of many different atomic clocks - it is necessary to correct for the altitude of each contributor.

Also, the issue of defining a coordinate time over the Earth's surface involves considerations of General Relativity since the earth rotates. If you transport a clock around the rotating Earth, it won't read the same as a clock that stayed behind, no matter how slowly. This was actually done in a famous experiment.

7. Nov 22, 2004 #6
    Well,sure. All the hydogen atoms in my brain have a multiplet 'fine structure' (spin-orbit interaction) at every level except l = 0 which is due to relativistic effects. In fact, all of the heavy atoms have an even greater energetic split which is even more noticeable, and at an energy level which can only be determined precisely with full (mental) relativistic treatment.
    Maybe that's why they say I have a split personality. Well, at least they can't say I'm degenerate. :rofl:

However, these are only SR effects.
    For GR effects you'll have to capture & measure the electromagnetic emissions (from my nuclear cranial radioactive decay) at several different terrestrial gravitational potentials and notice the resultant gravitational doppler shifts.
    (Please don't reveal your findings. :yuck:)

Creator :biggrin:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?