How Much Do GRE Scores Really Matter for Admission to Top Econ Grad Programs?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of a low GRE score on admission to a top Economics graduate program. The individual is concerned that their score of V450 M750 writing 5.0 may not meet the requirements of top programs, as they have heard that a score below 800 on the quantitative section automatically leads to rejection. They also mention their strong GPA in math and difficulty of courses, questioning whether admissions committees consider the difficulty of coursework. The conversation also touches on the possibility of retaking the GRE and the importance of the economics GRE score. The impact of undergraduate institution and the difference between a score of 800 and 750 is also discussed. Finally, the conversation ends with a discussion on the median GRE scores for top Econ grad
gravenewworld
How bad will a not so good GRE score (V450 M750 writting 5.0) affect my admission to a top Econ grad program? I did a lot of research on the internet about econ grad schools, and they said that at the top programs if you don't have an 800 showin g on your quantiative section in the GRE they automatically throw your application away. Is this really true? I mean I have really good GPA in math with very diffucult courses taken like intro to hilbert spaces and mathematical logic, even some math grad courses. Do adcoms care about difficulty of course work? I think the reason I did so terrible on the gres is because I didn't study 1 min for them. Your not really supposed to retake GREs are you? Will a good transcript outweigh the GRE scores?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can take GRE's. Taking it a second time and getting great scores is certainly not going to hurt you. I'm not sure you need an 800 though. How about your economics GRE score?

One factor is what undergrad you went to. A high GPA at a school without much of a recommendation isn't going to mean much.

How many mistakes is there between an 800 and a 750? I can't see how any department would look down upon a 750 quantitative.

juvenal said:
I think you can take GRE's. Taking it a second time and getting great scores is certainly not going to hurt you. I'm not sure you need an 800 though. How about your economics GRE score?

One factor is what undergrad you went to. A high GPA at a school without much of a recommendation isn't going to mean much.

yeah, you can. but unfortunately, it's not like the SATs where you get to "mix and match" your top scores. you have to submit the results for each portion for either one attempt or the other.

not that I'm recommending you retake the entire exam or anything. have you looked at the econ departments at schools to try and find ballpark numbers concerning GRE's?

in not that long of a time, i was able to come up with statistics for a couple of schools' physics grad departments.

Yeah pretty much the median GRE score at any decent Econ grad school was an 800 on the math part. They don't really care at all about the verbal and the writing. I also looked at what most people who get into the good schools have had as far as math goes and I have taken way more advanced math than 99% of people that get accepted. I hope that will make up for the lower GRE score.

gravenewworld said:
Yeah pretty much the median GRE score at any decent Econ grad school was an 800 on the math part. They don't really care at all about the verbal and the writing. I also looked at what most people who get into the good schools have had as far as math goes and I have taken way more advanced math than 99% of people that get accepted. I hope that will make up for the lower GRE score.

well, if it helps... yesterday i looked at cal-berkeley and cal-santa barbara's econ grad departments to see if the quantitative scores are really that high...

theirs were around 780. but i'd really hope that these schools don't disregard your entire application just because you were...what, two or three questions away from their average?

best of luck.

What is the significance of having a good GPA and bad GRE scores when applying to graduate programs?

Having a good GPA and bad GRE scores can still make you a competitive candidate for graduate programs. Your GPA reflects your academic performance and ability to succeed in coursework, while your GRE scores assess your critical thinking and analytical skills. Admissions committees may prioritize one over the other, depending on the program and their specific requirements. A strong GPA can also offset weaker GRE scores and demonstrate your potential for success in graduate studies.

Why is it important to address low GRE scores in your graduate school application?

Addressing low GRE scores in your graduate school application shows that you are aware of areas where you may need improvement and are actively working to strengthen them. It also allows you to provide context and explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your scores. Admissions committees appreciate transparency and a willingness to acknowledge weaknesses, as it demonstrates maturity and a commitment to self-improvement.

Can having a good GPA and bad GRE scores still lead to acceptance into top graduate programs?

Yes, having a good GPA and bad GRE scores can still lead to acceptance into top graduate programs. While GRE scores are important, they are not the only factor considered in the admissions process. Admissions committees also take into account letters of recommendation, personal statements, research experience, and other accomplishments. A strong GPA can also demonstrate your ability to excel academically, which is highly valued by top graduate programs.

What can I do to improve my chances of being accepted with a good GPA and bad GRE scores?

If you have a good GPA and bad GRE scores, there are several steps you can take to improve your chances of being accepted into graduate programs. First, consider retaking the GRE to try and improve your scores. You can also focus on strengthening other aspects of your application, such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. Additionally, you can reach out to admissions advisors or current graduate students in your desired program to discuss your application and seek advice on how to strengthen it.

Should I still apply to graduate programs if I have a good GPA but low GRE scores?

Yes, you should still apply to graduate programs if you have a good GPA but low GRE scores. While your GRE scores may not be ideal, your strong GPA can compensate for it and make you a competitive candidate. Additionally, some graduate programs may have a minimum GPA requirement and are more lenient with GRE scores. It's always worth applying and giving yourself a chance, as admissions decisions are based on multiple factors and not just one aspect of your application.