Terror Alert: Bush Kicks Up a Stir

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the theory that President Bush may be intentionally delaying the capture of Osama bin Laden in order to boost his approval ratings and win the upcoming election. Some believe that if they had bin Laden, they would have already revealed him, while others argue that Bush supporters wouldn't care even if it was a publicity stunt. The conversation also touches on the idea that al-Qaeda may be trying to influence the election in favor of Kerry by not carrying out any attacks. Overall, the conversation acknowledges that both Bush and Kerry have lied and that the focus should be on the actual actions taken in regards to terrorism.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bush gets a big kick every time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a conspiracy theory you've heard somewhere or one you're trying to start?

I bet they "find" OSBL in the next few days.Bush needs him to win.

tumor said:
I bet they "find" OSBL in the next few days.Bush needs him to win.

If they had him and were just waiting until later in the week to trot him out, don't you think that Al Queda would be talking about it? Think about what it would do to Bush's approval ratings if it turned out to be a publicity stunt...

Can they still drop all that much more, people either seem for or against. Would they really change their minds?

russ_watters said:
Is this a conspiracy theory you've heard somewhere or one you're trying to start?

By conspiracy theory I assume that you mean the Republican conspriracy theory that Saddam was about to nuke us out of existence with his massive stockpiles of nuclear weapons. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I guess this might have been true if he could nuke us with sticks and stones.

I meant the fact that Bush will tell any lie needed in order to win.

Osama wanted: Dead or alive! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Remember that one!

Too many John Wayne movies.

Six months after he said Osama bin Laden must be caught dead or alive, this president was asked, Where is Osama bin Laden? He said, I don't know. I don't really think about him very much. I'm not that concerned"

Confirmed on NBC by video replay.

Last edited:
enigma said:
If they had him and were just waiting until later in the week to trot him out, don't you think that Al Queda would be talking about it? Think about what it would do to Bush's approval ratings if it turned out to be a publicity stunt...

I don't see any evidence that Bush supporters would care.

"When the president had an opportunity to capture or kill Osama bin Laden, he took his focus off of them, outsourced the job to Afghan warlords, and Osama bin Laden escaped.

Six months after he said Osama bin Laden must be caught dead or alive, this president was asked, Where is Osama bin Laden? He said, I don't know. I don't really think about him very much. I'm not that concerned"

In case you missed it. :biggrin:

so where is it?

studentx said:
so where is it?
I have no idea where Bush's brain is. I understand the CIA is looking for it everywhere, but it's that small ... that the agents were warned to look carefully when they walk. In a nutshell ...it's not easy to find. I will look also here in Europe but I fear it's a waste of time.

"When the president had an opportunity to capture or kill Osama bin Laden, he took his focus off of them, outsourced the job to Afghan warlords, and Osama bin Laden escaped."

As I pointed out in the other thread of the same quote, this is spin, and well disputed by the actual commanders of the force that was there (Franks & "Rifle").

Again, if you're going to complain about Bush & his military courses of action, go after his real weaknesses, Post-Saddam Iraq.

On topic:

There have been recent terror attacks timed to influence elections in other countries. It would make sense to the raise the terror alert...No?

kawikdx225 said:
On topic:

There have been recent terror attacks timed to influence elections in other countries. It would make sense to the raise the terror alert...No?
If you want to be all "logical and sensible" about it, then maybe...

I heard someone giving an analysis suggesting that they believe al-Qaeda's recent quietness and the unlikelihood of a terrorist attack is a sign of the terrorists' endorsment for Sen. Kerry.

Let me stop here and say, this is most definitely spin...

But their logic worked this way: Australia and Spain got hit just before the elections in order to benefit the candidate that would pull out of Iraq. Because American polling shows that Bush is stronger on terrorism (per the polls) that a terrorist attack on America would benefit Bush.

This can easily be spun the other to say a successful terrorist attack would prove Bush a failure so they're waiting in hopes he gets re-elected feeling their opportunities are better under Bush than Kerry.

Just a bit of entertaining logic I heard recently, though I would share the ride on the Merry-Go-Round.

Ivan Seeking said:
I meant the fact that Bush will tell any lie needed in order to win.
Ok, so a conspiracy theory that you are trying to start. If I may give some suggestions for your inevitable website:

-Use lots of skulls and crossbones.
-Show lots of pictures of dead babies.
-Show a "death counter" (doesn't matter of what, just make it scroll really, really fast).
-Every page must reference Rense.com.
-Every other page must reference Al Jazeera.
-For balance, include an article on the Clinton->FEMA->Y2K conspiracy theory (doesn't matter that its obsolete - old conspiracy theories never die, they just fade away).

Last edited:
The lying game needs to end. Both candidates are liars and have been exposed repeatedly. Using the fact that one has lied as a point of argument is just spin.

Bush Lies:
- Everything is going great in Iraq.
- I never said I wasn't worried about Osama bin Laden.

Kerry Lies:
- I met with every member of the UN Security Council about Res. 1441 before I voted to give him the authority.
- I'm a conservative.

On WMDs, as I know it will come up now. Neither candidate can be proven to have lied on this topic, as it must go to what the candidate did in fact believe at the time. Both, however, were wrong in the beginning:

Bush: Address to the people: - Saddam has WMDs and is a threat.
Kerry: Georgetown U March 2003: - Saddam has WMDs and we need a "regime change" in Iraq.

(sorry for the paraphrasing, but I didn't feel like hunting down all these quotes, I think by now everyone knows these, if they're just willing to admit it)

1. What is "Terror Alert: Bush Kicks Up a Stir" about?

"Terror Alert: Bush Kicks Up a Stir" is an article discussing former President George W. Bush's decision to raise the terror alert level in the United States in 2004 before the presidential election.

2. Why did George W. Bush raise the terror alert level?

According to the article, Bush raised the terror alert level based on intelligence reports that suggested a potential attack on the US during the presidential election.

3. Did raising the terror alert level have any impact on the election?

The article suggests that raising the terror alert level may have had a political motive, as it was done just a few days before the election and may have influenced voters' decisions.

4. Was there any evidence to support the decision to raise the terror alert level?

The article discusses how some officials and experts questioned the validity of the intelligence reports used to justify raising the terror alert level and suggested that it may have been a political move.

5. Has the terror alert level been raised for political reasons before?

The article mentions previous instances where the terror alert level was raised for political purposes, such as in 2002 during the midterm elections and in 2003 during the Iraq War.