Terror murder in London

• News
  • Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
In summary: Just because something like this happens doesn't mean the world is going to end.In summary, the man was killed with a meat cleaver and the government is treating this as a terrorist incident.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is barbaric. Two men attacked a third in broad daylight with knives before demanding witnesses film them so they could shout political messages. They were later shot by police (though apparently they are both alive in hospital) and the government is treating this as a terrorist incident.

A man has been killed in a machete attack and two suspects shot by police in Woolwich, south-east London.

Prime Minister David Cameron said there were "strong indications that it is a terrorist incident" and the UK would "never buckle" in the face of such attacks.

Footage has emerged showing a man wielding a bloodied meat cleaver and making political statements.

There are unconfirmed reports that the dead man was a soldier.

Both French President Francois Hollande and MP Nick Raynsford said the dead man had been a soldier at Woolwich barracks.

The footage shown on the ITV website shows a man, dressed in a grey hooded jacket, saying: "We must fight them as they fight us. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."

He added: "I apologise that women have had to witness this today, but in our land our women have to see the same. You people will never be safe. Remove your government, they don't care about you."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22630303

The above link contains a shocking video of one of the men

Physics news on Phys.org
This is absolutely horrifying. ITV has an even more disturbing video. I really hope it isn't the start of something bigger, though since COBRA has been convened, the government presumably think it is.

My thoughts go out to the family of that man, and anyone who had to witness that disgusting act.

Surreal to watch the video of the man with knives and bloody hands. Doesn't really look sketch. Troubling.

I find it bizarre that people were filming it and standing in a crowd doing nothing, there was even a lady with a grocery stroller walking into the scene. Unfortunately people get murdered every day, all of those acts are senseless. This act is particularly gruesome, since it took place during the day in a public area. Similar to Theo van Gogh who was also slain on the street:
Van Gogh as he was cycling to work [..] The killer shot van Gogh eight times with an HS 2000 handgun, and Van Gogh died on the spot. The killer also tried to decapitate van Gogh with a knife, and stabbed him in the chest with another. The two knives were left implanted; one attached a five-page note to his body. The note threatened Western countries, Jews and Ayaan Hirsi Ali (who went into hiding).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_van_Gogh_(film_director [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that as well but I guess after the murder is done people thought it would be best to wait for the police and capture evidence.

The world is such a scary place, beyond my comprehension. I don't even know what to expect anymore but it's hard to have any faith left in society when things like this are so commonplace. My condolences to the family of the poor man who was killed.

The perpetrators don't flee the scene, they want attention! The media will give it to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if such explicit, round the clock reporting of events like these doesn't increase the likelihood of them occurring again.

JesseC said:
The perpetrators don't flee the scene, they want attention! The media will give it to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if such explicit, round the clock reporting of events like these doesn't increase the likelihood of them occurring again.

I heard from several sources they asked people to record them, and some people did. Gotta be honest, if I just witnessed some crazed wackos doing what they did, I'd probably comply with what they asked, too.

I like Cameron's response:

People across Britain, people in every community, I believe, will utterly condemn this attack. We have had these sorts of attacks before in our country and we never buckle in the face of them. In a free country, the best way to defeat terrorism is to live your life, to show that terrorists can never win.

Hear, hear.

I'm scared of the world.I wish I could just relax and enjoy it's beauty.There's always some assholes to remind me of how scary this place is.What the hell is this?

Last edited:
reenmachine said:
I'm scared of the world.I wish I could just relax and enjoy it's beauty.There's always some assholes to remind me of how scary this place is.What the hell is this?

If you feel that way then the terrorists have succeeded in their goal with you. That is their objective - immobilize the "enemy" through fear.( as they themselves perceive an enemy in their minds that are twisted all to hell, and if they do not have an enemy they will make one up ).

Be wise and temper your fear and go out and enjoy the wonder of the world.

reenmachine said:
The attention that the event receives, gives a false impression of the danger. How many people are harmed by traffic accidents each day in London? Statistics of 2011: 80 casualties a day of which 7 with serious injuries and every other day a fatality. I'm happy that I live somewhere that's relatively safe, compared to countries that face these actions on a regular basis.

You've hit the nail on the head Monique. Newspapers also rely on this phenomenon of poor risk evaluation. The UK is pretty peaceful, last year there were 550 murders which sounds a lot but in a nation of 65 million that's one murder every ~120,000 people. The chance of death by motor accident is 6 times higher but we still get in cars every day.

Even though crime rates have been dropping for years the perception of crime seems to rise. As a counter terrorism strategy I don't know why this risk perception phenomenon isn't tackled more by the government.

Ryan_m_b said:
Even though crime rates have been dropping for years the perception of crime seems to rise. As a counter terrorism strategy I don't know why this risk perception phenomenon isn't tackled more by the government.

It isn't tackled because we need the government, lots of it, to keep us safe from all the danger that surrounds us. Be afraid...be VERY afraid...

but we still get in cars every As a counter terrorism strategy I don't know why this risk perception phenomenon isn't tackled more by the government.

This reminds me of a quote that I can only paraphrase... It's funny that when a company tweaks their formula to make your clothes 10% cleaner they spend a billion dollars making sure everyone knows, but when government policy helps crime rates drop for twenty years there is essentially no advertising of this fact.

I think a lot of it is a failure of our political system.. In theory if your policies are beneficial you should be pushing that, but we rarely see commercials from political parties espousing basic improvements to life... They're mostly limited to attack ads and hot button issues. And I guess that's really the public's fault for responding to that kind of advertising

Monique said:
The attention that the event receives, gives a false impression of the danger. How many people are harmed by traffic accidents each day in London? Statistics of 2011: 80 casualties a day of which 7 with serious injuries and every other day a fatality. I'm happy that I live somewhere that's relatively safe, compared to countries that face these actions on a regular basis.

The attention that events like this receive still makes sense. We accept some risk when we drive, and can minimize that by driving carefully. We don't accept the risk of being brutally murdered in the street by traitors in the clash of civilizations, and people are rightly horrified.

I agree, but I find other events horrifying as well (a father committing suicide, but before that killing and hiding his two young sons from their mother, a speeding driver hitting and instantly killing an elderly couple and their grandchild). The event of yesterday is very unusual so receives a lot of attention, it's not my attention to belittle it, but sometimes the perspective is lost. In response to the Boston bombing my mom said "See, that's why I don't participate in running events", but that's 3500 miles away and how often does that happen?

Office_Shredder said:
This reminds me of a quote that I can only paraphrase... It's funny that when a company tweaks their formula to make your clothes 10% cleaner they spend a billion dollars making sure everyone knows, but when government policy helps crime rates drop for twenty years there is essentially no advertising of this fact.

I think a lot of it is a failure of our political system.. In theory if your policies are beneficial you should be pushing that, but we rarely see commercials from political parties espousing basic improvements to life... They're mostly limited to attack ads and hot button issues. And I guess that's really the public's fault for responding to that kind of advertising
To be fair politicians constantly point out the successes and failures of policies. The problem is that politicians disagree greatly on these matters because partisan democracy requires them to compete. Because of that we get spin with every issue and fairly agreement across parties.

Also I don't think it's fair to blame the public for responding to advertisement. That entire industry is devoted to learning new and intelligent ways of convincing people of something. Even the most astute and wary of us still fall for it in areas without realising.

boomtrain said:
The attention that events like this receive still makes sense. We accept some risk when we drive, and can minimize that by driving carefully. We don't accept the risk of being brutally murdered in the street by traitors in the clash of civilizations, and people are rightly horrified.
Emphasis mine, either you are misusing this term or you have fallen victim to racist justifying nonsense.

Unfortunately, being in the US, I'm a bit numb to a single murder. But I understand that this kind of violence is perhaps not as common there. I was watching a news clip about this yesterday where a witness kept saying over and over "he had a handgun, a handgun, he pulled out a handgun". I wish I lived in a country where someone having a handgun was shocking.

Let's hope this was just two lone lunatics and an isolated event.

Evo said:
I wish I lived in a country where someone having a handgun was shocking.

Get out of US, then.

Kholdstare said:
Get out of US, then.
I'd rather the US became less violent.

Evo said:
I'd rather the US became less violent.

It wont.

Yes, because anytime you wish your surroundings could be improved in some way, the solution is to go somewhere where your surroundings are perfect. And as you slowly circle the earth, skipping between blemished towns and flawed cities, your march across the globe slowly turns into a death spiral as your life flits away in a series of bitter disappointments.

This is the only just punishment for those who desire change

Kholdstare said:
It wont.

Actually, it is. The crime rate has been dropping for years:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0306.pdf [Broken]

Lots of theories about why, but it's definitely decreasing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Office_Shredder said:
...as you slowly circle the earth, skipping between blemished towns and flawed cities, your march across the globe slowly turns into a death spiral as your life flits away in a series of bitter disappointments...

OK, Eeyore :tongue2: :wink:.

On BBC Radio 2 this afternoon there was an interesting parallel between the publicity events like this get and pitch invaders in football (OK the analogue isn't great but bear with it)

Once one or two people invaded the pitch and got their 10 second slot on tv everyone started doing it and started protesting about this and that. Then the tv stopped showing pitch invaders and the numbers fell dramatically as the people simply didn't get their publicity they want.

Now scale that up to the scale of fanatical religious extremists who see highly public attacks like this as a soapbox for spreading their message. Perhaps is it not slightly logical to conclude that if events like this didn't get as much coverage then some of these events may not occur? (I'm not saying for total media censorship but the coverage should only deal in facts eg. "A soldier was killed yesterday by islamist terrorists in Woolwich" and remove the sensationalist hype eg. the photos of the blood soaked attacker)

Also reduced media coverage would probably reduce the number of "copy cat" attempts or plots that will now most likely be being assembled by other individuals like these 2.

Ryan_m_b said:
Emphasis mine, either you are misusing this term or you have fallen victim to racist justifying nonsense.

Maybe I'm misusing the term. The War On Terror is often used interchangeably in the press with "a clash of civilizations".

I'm curious to know why you think this is racist or justifies nonsense. How would you describe homegrown terrorists other than as traitors? Have you heard the terrorists own words in this case? Even if you don't think of this in terms of "us vs them", the terrorists clearly do.

trollcast said:
On BBC Radio 2 this afternoon there was an interesting parallel between the publicity events like this get and pitch invaders in football (OK the analogue isn't great but bear with it)

Once one or two people invaded the pitch and got their 10 second slot on tv everyone started doing it and started protesting about this and that. Then the tv stopped showing pitch invaders and the numbers fell dramatically as the people simply didn't get their publicity they want.

Do the numbers for this actually exist, or were the commentators simply noticing that once the press stopped reporting on something, they stopped hearing about that thing?

boomtrain said:
Maybe I'm misusing the term. The War On Terror is often used interchangeably in the press with "a clash of civilizations".

Yes you (and the news readers) are misusing the term. "Clash of civilisations" comes from a theory published in the 90s that proposed that the world could be divided into six or so civilisations (Western, African, Arab etc) that would inevitably come to blows and have to be kept somewhat separate. It is more nuanced than that but utterly unfounded in reality and often critisised for being racist and used to justify racist jolly.

This deed corresponds perfectly to the fears of europeans of mad african savages and will be exploited by all kind of right wing groups.
I fear this event is devastating for black rights movement.

Ryan_m_b said:
...The UK is pretty peaceful, last year there were 550 murders which sounds a lot but in a nation of 65 million that's one murder every ~120,000 people. ...

The UK violent crime rate is 2K per 100K people (2009), per the Daily Mail the highest in the EU.

Office_Shredder said:
Do the numbers for this actually exist, or were the commentators simply noticing that once the press stopped reporting on something, they stopped hearing about that thing?

It's related to the copycat effect, which I can't find any papers specific to murders / terrorist attacks on but google might provide some more results I've missed (Most of the papers are about suicide rates)

DrDu said:
This deed corresponds perfectly to the fears of europeans of mad african savages and will be exploited by all kind of right wing groups.
I fear this event is devastating for black rights movement.

Black rights? Cameron has called this a terror attack, with good reason:

CNN said:
"We swear by almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you until you leave us alone," said a meat-cleaver-wielding man with bloody hands, speaking in what seems to be a London accent.

"The only reasons we killed this man ... is because Muslims are dying daily," he added, in video aired by CNN affiliate ITN. "This British soldier is an eye for an eye, a tooth for tooth."

mheslep said:
The UK violent crime rate is 2K per 100K people (2009), per the Daily Mail the highest in the EU.
I don't have time to find the relevant link at the moment but note that UK law classes many things as violent crimes that other countries do not. Verbal abuse, carrying a concealed weapon and threatening behaviour for example are all classed as violent crimes. So that 2k per 100k figure certainly doesn't just mean murder and assault, it means a lot of things that people would scratch their heads at and wonder why it was considered violent.

<h2>1. What happened during the terror murder in London?</h2><p>On June 3, 2017, a van drove into pedestrians on London Bridge and then three attackers stabbed people in Borough Market. Eight people were killed and 48 were injured in the attack.</p><h2>2. Who was responsible for the terror murder in London?</h2><p>The attack was carried out by three men who were later identified as Khuram Shazad Butt, Rachid Redouane, and Youssef Zaghba. They were all shot and killed by police at the scene.</p><h2>3. Was the terror murder in London linked to any terrorist organizations?</h2><p>The attackers claimed allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) group, but there is no evidence to suggest they had any direct contact with the group.</p><h2>4. How did the government respond to the terror murder in London?</h2><p>The government declared the attack as an act of terrorism and increased security measures in London. Prime Minister Theresa May also called for a review of the UK's counter-terrorism strategy.</p><h2>5. Have there been any other similar attacks in London?</h2><p>Unfortunately, London has experienced several terror attacks in recent years, including the Westminster attack in 2017 and the London Bridge attack in 2019. The government continues to work on preventing and responding to these types of attacks.</p>

1. What happened during the terror murder in London?

On June 3, 2017, a van drove into pedestrians on London Bridge and then three attackers stabbed people in Borough Market. Eight people were killed and 48 were injured in the attack.

2. Who was responsible for the terror murder in London?

The attack was carried out by three men who were later identified as Khuram Shazad Butt, Rachid Redouane, and Youssef Zaghba. They were all shot and killed by police at the scene.

3. Was the terror murder in London linked to any terrorist organizations?

The attackers claimed allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) group, but there is no evidence to suggest they had any direct contact with the group.

4. How did the government respond to the terror murder in London?

The government declared the attack as an act of terrorism and increased security measures in London. Prime Minister Theresa May also called for a review of the UK's counter-terrorism strategy.

5. Have there been any other similar attacks in London?

Unfortunately, London has experienced several terror attacks in recent years, including the Westminster attack in 2017 and the London Bridge attack in 2019. The government continues to work on preventing and responding to these types of attacks.