Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terrorism: Get a Grip

1. Sep 16, 2004 #1
    Stop buying duct tape and water bottles. You have more chance of dying in a car accident than dying in a terrorist act. Terrorism is a serious problem, yes, but it does not warrant the current hysteria. Some people who have little to no serious threat to fear are seriously scared for their lives due to the scaremongering of the admin and the media and will vote solely based on that fear (a fear which interferes with their rational processes for deciding who and what actions will do the best job to prevent terrorism).

It's been going on for a long time, and will continue as such. People in many countries get it much worse than we do.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2004 #2
    Are these scare tactics along the same lines as those offered by environmentalists? You know... SUVs are dooming the planet, and we must do something about it now or risk global catastrophe. That sort of stuff.

Both sides play up the consequences. We have been told repeatedly that the world is now coming to an end because the Arab/Muslim population doesn't like us any more (as if they ever did).

4. Sep 17, 2004 #3
    There might not be a rational reason to be scared of terrorism, but the after effects of an attack like 911 could be scary. I think the biggest scare tactic today tho is an after effect which hasnt happened, but ppl are suggesting is gonna happen if Bush does another 4yrs.

5. Sep 18, 2004 #4
    on the subject of scare tactics... i was reading an article in a magazine that was saying 'they dont need to kill a lot of people to cause damage'. the article was about dirty bombs and how everyone is paranoid about bad radiation that if a terroist group blew a few off in urban cores, the damage to the actual buildings would be small, the casualtys would be realitivly small but the economic damage would be Huge, suddenly no one would want to go to work because they dont want to get radiated, people start using rad resistant suits and using gas masks and the next thing you know, the land value dropes, people lose jobs because they dont want to go to the shops close to the blast. most of the damage would be because people had unfounded fears

6. Sep 19, 2004 #5
    .... or, if icebergs melt, Bangladesh will be flooded and millions will lose their lives.

As I said, both sides use scare tactics. They are an American way of life in politics.

7. Sep 19, 2004 #6
    What I don't get is how enviromentalists are the 'other side' of anti-terrorists.

I don't even know why there is another side, the bottom line is, in the worlds of Marlyn Manson, "it's just this campaign of fear, and consumption, and that's what I think it's all based on, the whole idea of 'keep everyone afraid, and they'll consume"

As a side note: Fear of terrorism seems to have a much larger effect then the melting of the ice caps.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?