Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terrorism panic goes too far at Area 51

1. Jun 29, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2003 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Mr. Knapp justifies his and Chuck's activities as "patriotic" and he carefully never mentions felony. Like it or not, the secrecy at Area 51 and elsewhere is supported by Federal law, and persistent lawbreakers, however justified they feel, are going to get tossed in the clink, and no judge in the land will buy their patriotism defence.

4. Jun 30, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YUP!

5. Jun 30, 2003 #4

FZ+

Really, though, what is at area 51 anyways? Considering the amount of public interest, the government must be pretty stupid to hide anything of reasonably secret value in there. It is really pretty much the least secret "top secret" sites in the world.

6. Jun 30, 2003 #5
    There couldn't possibly be trouble at area 51; it doesn't exist.

7. Jun 30, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoops. I forgot.

8. Jul 1, 2003 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Back in the old days it was where they tested the stealth aircraft like the SR-51 and I believe the B-2. What they are doing now, I don't want to know, and I don't want al Quaida to know either. Being a nation means having some secrets from the public. You can't find out anywhere online the real secret of making a hydrogen bomb, although there are scads of pretenders.

9. Jul 1, 2003 #8

It may or may not be that making a hydrogen bomb is not online. However, there are more than enough instructions in books.

It's no secret, just like it's no secret how to fly to pluto. It's the doing it part that is difficult.

10. Jul 1, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what is your point? We all know this.

11. Jul 1, 2003 #10

FZ+

I remember a case during the cold war where two students were used to test how easy it was to design a nuke with basic lab technology, and undergraduate level physics.

Read...
    http://www.beloitdailynews.com/303/nuke17.htm

Summary... they managed to design a implosion based nuke with the power of the Hiroshima bomb.

12. Jul 2, 2003 #11

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, when you say "students" they were physics graduate students, at least one of them had his Ph.D. And I never said that fission bombs were secret, they are straight physics as this example shows, which is why Korea and Iran and for all I know Nauroo are on the trail of them.

But getting a fission device to set of a thermonuclear device is not obvious or easy. It took the Americans and the Russians both several years to figure out - just on paper. And that was top physicsits like Teller and Sakharov. The trick is to get the trigger to do something to cause fusion in the microsecond before its explosion blows everything apart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?