Terrorist Attack hits London, City on Alert

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, multiple bombs have gone off in London, with reports of fatalities and injuries. This is likely a terrorist attack.
You can not refer to the things that carried these attacks as people ,
pond scum is a better title, and i hope they rot in eternal
damnation.

Physics news on Phys.org
BicycleTree said:
Would you rather be fat and unhealthy all your life and die of a heart attack at 50, or would you rather be healthy and die of a terrorist attack at 50? Death by obesity is worse than death by terrorism because it is not a quick death, but is drawn out for decades.

And vastly more people die of obesity-related illness than they do of terrorism.
Perhaps you should travel to London and vent your views to the Londoners. I imagine you will quickly become a part of your own statistics.

In your own sad, sick, twisted little brain you probably think you are being funny or smart but actually you are neither, you are just a piece of scum in urgent need of therapy.

Last edited by a moderator:
physics4ever said:
Is this for real? Where did you get this from?
Sunayana.
www.bbc.co.uk

BicycleTree said:
Would you rather be fat and unhealthy all your life and die of a heart attack at 50, or would you rather be healthy and die of a terrorist attack at 50? Death by obesity is worse than death by terrorism because it is not a quick death, but is drawn out for decades.

And vastly more people die of obesity-related illness than they do of terrorism.
Why only obesity? Why not other illnesses?
And by the way, i would neither want to be fat and unhealthy all my life nor die of a terrorist attack. Death by obesity is something you can control. I could have considered your point if you had said something like cancer.
Sunayana
I completely agree with Art

Last edited:
BicycleTree, if you are still not convinced of the horror of this morning's events, perhaps you would like to assist whoever have the tasks of wiping the blood splatter off the building opposite the bus bomb, explaining to a child that he's going to be blind for the rest of his life as a result of glass fragments having been embedded in his eyes, or giving CPR to that poor chap I saw coming out of the ambulance with head and chest lacerations, and what looked like an arm blown off.

Again, I respectfully ask you to keep your thoughtless comments to yourself.

Pengwuino said:
What kind of disgusting comparison is this. ITS YOUR CHOICE TO EAT UNHEALTHY FOOD AND NOT WORK OUT. Its NOT your choice to have a bomb blow up on your way to work. And very few people die instantly. Theres going to be probably hundreds more that will die later and after time.
You are yelling. Please remain civil.

Is it your choice to be subjected to advertisements of fatty foods, inducing you to buy them? Is it your choice to be born with genes that give you a slow metabolism or a tendency to be physically inactive? Is it your choice to be born into an entire culture of obesity?

In terms of which is the bigger killer, obesity or terrorism, there is no question--obesity. In terms of which is the more painful killer, obesity or terrorism, I don't think there's much question there either--obesity again, for the years of emotional pain for being fat.

Also, be rational. We're currently talking about seven people actually dead, and you're now talking about hundreds.

Bicycle... i don't know if you actually understand what your saying or if you don't have a heart. You are actually saying what is now 40 people's death is absolutely meaningless. There is very little to be civil about. Maybe someone will hopefully murder your family someday and then we'll see how you feel about the idea that "oh well, people die everyday".

brewnog said:
BicycleTree, if you are still not convinced of the horror of this morning's events, perhaps you would like to assist whoever have the tasks of wiping the blood splatter off the building opposite the bus bomb, explaining to a child that he's going to be blind for the rest of his life as a result of glass fragments having been embedded in his eyes, or giving CPR to that poor chap I saw coming out of the ambulance with head and chest lacerations, and what looked like an arm blown off.
They were horrible to those who went through them. I am only looking for a sense of perspective and rationality, instead of mindless angry reactionism against a threat that is in full light rather small and insignificant.

Bicycle... i don't know if you actually understand what your saying or if you don't have a heart. You are actually saying what is now 40 people's death is absolutely meaningless. There is very little to be civil about. Maybe someone will hopefully murder your family someday and then we'll see how you feel about the idea that "oh well, people die everyday".
I have a heart that groans at human suffering. I also have a mind that knows where the human suffering is actually coming from, on the whole, and it is not terrorism.

BicycleTree said:
I have a heart that groans at human suffering. I also have a mind that knows where the human suffering is actually coming from, on the whole, and it is not terrorism.

So your saying if a thermonuclear weapon is detonated in Berlin, we hsouldnt care and it shouldn't be covered because hey, more people die from poverty or cancer or aids.

BicycleTree said:
They were horrible to those who went through them. I am only looking for a sense of perspective and rationality, instead of mindless angry reactionism against a threat that is in full light rather small and insignificant.

Where is this mindless, angry reactionism of which you speak?

Please consider refraining from posting completely thoughless (and largely irrelevant) comments. If this incident isn't worthy of a thread, and compassionate discussion, then the disease you started a thread about the other day certainly isn't.

If I wasn't such a gentleman, I'd wish chronic axonal polyneuropathy upon you as a result of your misfortune, and then post "so what, people get ill all the time" all over your thread.

If you don't have anything helpful to say, please keep quiet. It would appear that this is the sentiment shared by everyone else in this thread; I suggest you take a hint.

I think Bicycle Tree represents the weakness of Occident. It is because of this kind of people we allow criminals to threaten us, and we are not enough brave to fight agains them. It is because unfortunately there are too many politicians who share the same naive thinkings.

BicycleTree said:
Funny, your posts do not seem to reflect that. To the people who have been injured or killed by the bombs (ostensibly caused by terrorists) and to their family and friends, terrorism is the direct cause of suffering.

BicycleTree said:
Again, this event is significant to those who lives just ended or irrepairably damaged, to the families of the victims, and to the survivors.

brewnog said:
Again, I respectfully ask you to keep your thoughtless comments to yourself.
Echoing brewnog.

BT, This is not the time and place of a discussion/debate on the cause of human suffering or the grievances resulting from such suffering.

Terrorism is NEVER justified. It is an unconscionable act of evil to attack unarmed or otherwise innocent people.

Last edited:
BicycleTree said:
You are yelling. Please remain civil.

Is it your choice to be subjected to advertisements of fatty foods, inducing you to buy them? Is it your choice to be born with genes that give you a slow metabolism or a tendency to be physically inactive? Is it your choice to be born into an entire culture of obesity?

In terms of which is the bigger killer, obesity or terrorism, there is no question--obesity. In terms of which is the more painful killer, obesity or terrorism, I don't think there's much question there either--obesity again, for the years of emotional pain for being fat.

Also, be rational. We're currently talking about seven people actually dead, and you're now talking about hundreds.

Yes we are talking about 7 people dead. Would you go on and on about obesity if I mention disasters other than terrorist attacks? I could talk about the Tsunami. Or better still, something that happened in my city, an earthquake a few years ago in which more than 4000 people died, in which I saw buildings collapse before my eyes on my way back home from school, not knowing whether my house was still standing and my parents were alive.
I don't think somehting like obesity can even be compared with disasters like these, which happen all of a sudden, which you have no control over.
Sunayana.

BicycleTree said:
The sense of perspective and rationality is that a city has been under attack. How can you claim that in a full light it is rather small and insignificant?

Currently being reported by the BBC at an Emergency Services briefing:

8.51 am - An explosion at Moorgate East/Liverpool Street Station (100 yards into the tunnel) involving a Central or Circle line train, 7 confirmed fatalities.

8.56 am - Explosion between Kings Cross Station and Russell Square, 21 confirmed fatalities.

9.17 am - Explosion at Edgware Road station. Explosion on a train blew a hole through a wall, and affected another two trains on different platforms. 5 confirmed fatalities.

9.47 am - Explosion on bus in Woburn Square, fatalities have occurred but numbers have not yet been confirmed.

Last edited:
No ones left underground... looks like things are coming back to somewhat normal shape

The Queen said she was "deeply shocked". Though that was probably at being woken up to be told.

El Hombre Invisible said:
The Queen said she was "deeply shocked". Though that was probably at being woken up to be told.

I think she is quite genuine in these matters.

How can you even compare dying from obesity with this? These people here are being ripped apart even before their mind can even grasp it--and for what? For nothing. They were leading innocent lives, and they might have even eaten "healthy" foods, taking care of their bodies. Now they're dead for that. The obese, on the other hand, are killing themselves--it's their retribution for being unable to restrain their cravings. Death here is expected and, to some extent, justified. They know this. Everybody else knows it.
BT, you are hardly being rational (in fact, what you say is being callous and sick); the psychological disparity between the two makes statistics meaningless.

Last edited:
Dont worry Knavish, Bicycle just wanted attention. No one coudl actually hold such sickening views on human life.

Whoa, I just got on a news site and read what happened. Frightening! After all the positive things going on in London, this had to happen :frown: .

I'm not good at writing my emotions down, but here goes.

The thought of losing someone I love saddens me. These attacks make me want to cry (or kill) when I think of so many losing loved ones.

I really wish some people wouldn't kill innocents to get a point across. I'm tired of all the senseless killing and I hope London and its people recover well.

Bicycle, terrorism may not be the biggest problem in the world, but disregarding the death of a few people (comparatively) because of the death of greater numbers is heartless. If you want to make a statement about obesity, please post a separate thread.

Your comments seem tailored to insight anger amongst the PFers against you. Please respect the emotions of others.

Hmm this is interesting.

It's not the way a terrorist acts, it's the fact that there doing it.

This pisses me off.

I mean, i could understand it's there way of life, and belief

but don't you think the 9.11 was enough

BT, the only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that you or somebody you know is obese, and you're pulling a "woe is me" stunt. Stop. You can't compare human life.

I was a bit slow to getting to read the news today. My sympathies to the folks in London affected by this (that's probably everyone who works or lives or knows someone who works or lives in that city). It's the act of sick and cowardly people to sneak around taking innocent lives in such a manner. And I understand the fears you're all feeling as you try to confirm the whereabouts of those you know who take the tubes at that time of the morning. Rush hour no less...it could have even been so much worse, I hope the casualty reports do not continue to grow more than they already have.

Obviously, transportation is at a complete standstill right now. I don't know the London Underground well enough to know where these stations are. I imagine they'll need to send in crews to check all the tunnels for signs of additional explosives, and that could take a good deal of time, but once they get the all-clear on that, how crippled do the damaged tubes leave the system? Are there routes that can operate without using those tunnels, or are they major trunks that are going to keep all or most operations down until repairs can be made? I imagine a good number of people will be fairly well stranded in the city tonight, unable to get home from work. Beyond the human casualties, something like this also has financial casualties on the businesses that are going to need to consider closing or being short-staffed for at least a few days until transportation can be restored and their employees can get to work. Hopefully some semblance of function can be restored by Monday if everyone takes a long weekend off.

Here is a link to a map of the London Underground - http://www.afn.org/~alplatt/tube.html

It's not the official London Underground/Transport site, which has been overwhelmed by traffic.

Basically the attacks occurred in the center of London.

Certain lines being out of action probably won't cause too much of a problem. They usually are. And with 2012 confirmed, I'm guessing improvement to the Underground was probably going to be on the cards anyway. London will bounce back. Those who've lost loved ones will not, perhaps.

My worry about this is that it will incite racial hatred. There is a certain subset of the British population that will take any excuse to physically or verbally abuse people from ethnic minorities, particularly Arabic ones. It happened here after 9/11. It made me sick to be British. Well, it added to the long list of reasons that I'm sick to be British.

Moonbear said:
Obviously, transportation is at a complete standstill right now. I don't know the London Underground well enough to know where these stations are. I imagine they'll need to send in crews to check all the tunnels for signs of additional explosives, and that could take a good deal of time, but once they get the all-clear on that, how crippled do the damaged tubes leave the system? Are there routes that can operate without using those tunnels, or are they major trunks that are going to keep all or most operations down until repairs can be made? I imagine a good number of people will be fairly well stranded in the city tonight, unable to get home from work. Beyond the human casualties, something like this also has financial casualties on the businesses that are going to need to consider closing or being short-staffed for at least a few days until transportation can be restored and their employees can get to work. Hopefully some semblance of function can be restored by Monday if everyone takes a long weekend off.

Afaik, only Kings cross is closed, and a major part of the system is unaffected
so people will be able to get home may be later than usual.
I bet services will be near normal tomorrow, as the londoners give the pond
slime the one fingered salute.

BicycleTree said:
To go up? To what? Five dead? Wow, it would shock me if five people died in London. Although it happens every twenty-five minutes. I guess I get shocked easily.

Yeah, I'm not literally surprised that this is making the news. I am asking why people think stuff like this is important. Two people dead is not even remotely statistically significant. Move on to issues like obesity--now that is significant. Terrorism has a lot less chance of hurting the Western world than big macs do.

Terrorist attacks have ripple effects ---- Like wars with tens of thousands of people dead and no exit strategy.

Even if no one died, even if the attacks had been thwarted, a massive plan to attack the Tube etc is huge news.

El Hombre Invisible said:
Certain lines being out of action probably won't cause too much of a problem. They usually are. And with 2012 confirmed, I'm guessing improvement to the Underground was probably going to be on the cards anyway. London will bounce back. Those who've lost loved ones will not, perhaps.

My worry about this is that it will incite racial hatred. There is a certain subset of the British population that will take any excuse to physically or verbally abuse people from ethnic minorities, particularly Arabic ones. It happened here after 9/11. It made me sick to be British. Well, it added to the long list of reasons that I'm sick to be British.

Yeah. I hear you. Not British, but this is why these attacks are so horrible - Nothing good can come from this. Nothing. And it could have been just a handful of people responsible - and there will be a global repercussions, and it won't be good.

The war mongerers will get a second wind from this, more racism, more ...

God.

I also want to extend my condolences to all Londoners. I have a sister on sabbatical there - She studies old manuscripts in your libraries, and the first I heard of this was in my email box this morning. She's fine and staying holed up in her flat for the day.

Be safe, the world is offering you it's sympathy, hugs, shoulders to lean on - We'll get through this ongoing mess.

wolram said:
Afaik, only Kings cross is closed, and a major part of the system is unaffected
so people will be able to get home may be later than usual.
I bet services will be near normal tomorrow, as the londoners give the pond
slime the one fingered salute.

Looking at the map Astronuc linked to helped clear up how much is and isn't affected. It looks like they planted them all right along the path where multiple routes overlap; probably increasing their chances of there being trains near the explosion when it happened.

I'm glad to hear people won't be stranded as I was envisioning, though I'm sure it will be a much longer than usual commute for many who have to use alternative stations/routes.

Of course the inconvenience of commuting is minor compared to the loss of life and serious injuries people have suffered. Senseless murder of innocents. It's disgusting, and I can't think of a more cowardly approach, to kill unarmed, unsuspecting people. The modern-day equivalent of shooting someone in the back.

Pengwuino said:
But did they every actually "promise" anything before?

Hopefully this will shut up the idiots who think the US is bad for calling Al Qaeda the bad guys. I think its rather obvious who the bad guys are after this...
Have you ever read the classic Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Pengwuino? 'Bad guys' are created - they don't just appear for no reason.

EDIT: Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea - I do NOT condone these actions in any way, but I dispute Pengwuino's summary of it because it does not take the actual situation into account. If recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq had not occurred, this horrific, senseless and cowardly event would not have occurred either. Please don't jump on me for giving my considered response to Pengwuino's summary.

Last edited by a moderator:
pattylou said:
I also want to extend my condolences to all Londoners. I have a sister on sabbatical there - She studies old manuscripts in your libraries, and the first I heard of this was in my email box this morning. She's fine and staying holed up in her flat for the day.

Be safe, the world is offering you it's sympathy, hugs, shoulders to lean on - We'll get through this ongoing mess.
I'm glad your sister's okay. The truly horrible thing about these kinds of attacks is the randomness of it. What Wolram said is right - this kind of thing doesn't get the British down. There's probably some victim joking about coming home legless again, a bunch of lads about town saying they've had a blast, a commuter saying the tube is getting worse and worse... it's the Dunkirk spirit... but in London instead of Dunkirk. You can't kill that with any amount of explosives. In fact, the one-fingered salute should be elevated to the status of national identity. Fug the terrorists. We fugged em off before, we'll fug em off again.

I was very sad to hear the news this morning. London is such a wonderful city. I hope my friends there are OK.