• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Tertiary education in France?

• Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am interested in pursuing undergraduate studies in Mathematics, Physics or some form of Engineering (it's probably going to be a toss between Civil or Mechanical but I am not certain and I'd rather just leave it at that until I am certain) and I have heard mostly good things about universities in French and if I would like to go live anywhere beyond my backyard, France (and India are) is the only viable options for me, considering I cannot afford anything more expensive that that. (education in France is free but I'm also adding potential living costs)

Is anyone here studying any of those subjects in France or know how the system there functions or at least, know of people studying there? What, in your opinion/as far as you know, are the best universities for these subjects there?

N.B: Language isn't going to be a barrier for me, at least, not one which cannot be overcome. I do have an okay-level of French.

Answers and Replies

INSA Lyon (Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon)One of the top French engineering universities is one of the top French engineering universities.
I think french language is a prerequisite. For further details check out http://studyadvisor.com/" [Broken].
Hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the university (UJF) here in Grenoble is a rather good place for Physics, close ties to the local CEA, CNRS, Neutron Source (ILL) and Synchrotron (ESRF) for the all important "stage* " required as part of the undergraduate physics course.

While I do not know if it is the norm, the university here offers an intensive 1 month French language course before the start of/at the start of each semester.

*A stagé is a work placement, typically lasting 2-3 months at a place of scientific relevance taken in the 3rd year.

I believe the university (UJF) here in Grenoble is a rather good place for Physics, close ties to the local CEA, CNRS, Neutron Source (ILL) and Synchrotron (ESRF) for the all important "stage* " required as part of the undergraduate physics course.

While I do not know if it is the norm, the university here offers an intensive 1 month French language course before the start of/at the start of each semester.

*A stagé is a work placement, typically lasting 2-3 months at a place of scientific relevance taken in the 3rd year.
French I doubt will be a problem for me; perhaps my spoken French is a little rusty but I'm working on that. The only possible drawbacks with studying in French would probably be with regards to getting used to terminology, considering I am now learning in English at secondary/high school.

Stagé? This sounds great. I have heard of the three "université de technologie" which include two semesters' worth of work placement/experience in their 5 (I think that's how long it was) year engineering program. What do you think of them?

And do you know anything about "Les Ecoles Normales"? I tried reading about them and "Les Grandes Ecoles" and it was a tad confusing. :\

I am studying for the International Baccalaureate diploma (note: not the French Baccalauréat!) - do you know whether French unis would allow me to enroll in an undergrad course like those who have the French Bac? Or at least, would yours? (I am currently studying Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics at Higher Level, which in French, would be Niveau Supérieur)