Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tesla Coil Help

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    Hello all,
    I am in the process of building a tesla coil and I need a little help.

I have everything completed enough that I can start testing it. I plug the coil in and the spark gap fires immediately and continuously, but no arcs come out the toroid.

I tried moving the toroid closer to the secondary coil and putting a piece of wire sticking out of the toroid, but there are still no arcs.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

Do the turns match for both coils? Couldn't it be a problem of the frequencies not matching up? Or maybe you have a weak transformer? Where do you test your tesla coil? In a garage or something?

4. May 13, 2015 #3
    I have been testing it outside because I am using chicken wire as a ground. What do you mean about the turns matching up? Does the secondary need to have a multiple of the primary's coils? In my research I have never read anything about that, but I might just be missing it.

5. May 13, 2015 #4

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

I remember reading about how the secondary and primary coils have to match in frequency. Meaning if one coil has a certain amount of turns, then the other must have a certain amount of turns to match the frequency. I know these tesla coils can be quiet tricky. (Had a mate of mine that did one for a science fair project a couple years ago, and the first one they made was a failure.)

6. May 13, 2015 #5

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

I found that there was the term called "tuning" the coils, but can't really find anything beyond that.

7. May 13, 2015 #6
    What I have found about tuning the coil is that you adjust the amount of turns in the primary to get the greatest output from the secondary, but everything I've found about it has said to try one position and measure the arc length, then try a different position and so on, but that doesn't really work when there are no sparks at all.

8. May 13, 2015 #7

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

Then there is something either wrong with your capacitor, or transformer. Or you may have a short some where in your circuit?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook