Building a Tesla Coil: Engineering Questions

In summary, the conversation includes discussion about building a magnetic generator using two sets of plans bought from the internet. One set of plans suggests connecting the rectifiers to a solar battery bank, while the other set includes a complex circuit with a 600V 1uf capacitor and a coil with primary and secondary windings. The conversation also touches on the topic of "free energy" and the potential scam associated with it. The expert advises against pursuing such ideas and reminds the individual that energy cannot be created or destroyed.
Hudswell
Is anyone familiar with the Tesla magnatic fueless generator and the associated Tesla coil set up, I have some basic engineering questions before making the coil eg. can three 200V 1uf capacitors in series be used instead of one 600V 1uf capacitor (which is difficult and expensive to purchase)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
magnetic generator

I am currently building a magnetic generator from two sets of plans bought from the internet.The plans are for the same generator, two magnet rotor discs (disk 1ft, magnets 2" sq), one each side of the stator made up of 6 coils of 17AWG wire (100 turns). The wires from the stator then go to 2 rectifiers, then the plans differ, one set of plans says to connect the Pos & Neg from the rectifiers straight to your solar battery bank (24V) the other shows quite a complex set up going through a circuit with a 600V 1uf capacitor then through a coil with primary/secondary windings over an 8mm solid copper rod to the earth. Can anyone explain the different outcome from each unit, which should I build? I am obviouly looking for the maximum amps I can achieve, from what I can tell, they produce very high voltage but possibly low amperage, are there any calculations for this or is it trial and error?

Last edited:

These wouldn't happen to be some sort of "free energy" scam thing, would they? Is there an obvious source of power for them? Or is it just a normal induction generator?

You would need 9 of such capacitors in series-parallel, and you'd need resistors to equalize voltage.
I'd make the capacitor myself with aluminium baking foil and thin plastic wrapper of same width (as purchased at grocery store, width 29cm will do). Take a rod few centimeters longer than width of the foil, wrap foil right next to one end (1 turn), wrap the plastic wrapper around the middle (N turns , twice the breakdown voltage), wrap foil right next to other end, wrap the plastic wrapper, foil to first end, etc. You attach terminals at either end. The resulting capacitor has very low inductance.
I did that a while back for 30kv capacitor.

Hudswell said:
Is anyone familiar with the Tesla magnatic fueless generator and the associated Tesla coil set up, I have some basic engineering questions before making the coil eg. can three 200V 1uf capacitors in series be used instead of one 600V 1uf capacitor (which is difficult and expensive to purchase)?

Hudswell said:
I am currently building a magnetic generator from two sets of plans bought from the internet.The plans are for the same generator, two magnet rotor discs (disk 1ft, magnets 2" sq), one each side of the stator made up of 6 coils of 17AWG wire (100 turns). The wires from the stator then go to 2 rectifiers, then the plans differ, one set of plans says to connect the Pos & Neg from the rectifiers straight to your solar battery bank (24V) the other shows quite a complex set up going through a circuit with a 600V 1uf capacitor then through a coil with primary/secondary windings over an 8mm solid copper rod to the earth. Can anyone explain the different outcome from each unit, which should I build? I am obviouly looking for the maximum amps I can achieve, from what I can tell, they produce very high voltage but possibly low amperage, are there any calculations for this or is it trial and error?

I merged your two related threads.

"Free energy", perpetual motion machines, and "fuelless generators" are not permitted topics for discussion on the PF. You need to clarify what you are trying to do.

They are only a scam in the way they are promoted, they are not a true scam as they are selling Tesla Patent plans and they do refund your money if you are not happy. I bought many plans out of curiousity, most are more like back yard experiments producing around 2 or 3 ma. The one I am building is the only one that showed potential to produce enough amps to trickle charge my solar battery bank. This one apparently works by drawing from the battery and returning about 4-5 times what it draws via the permanent magnets. Having said that, do you have any thoughts on my question, I forgot to mention that the plans showing the additional circuit also has a spark gap in it before going to the primary and secondary coil.

Likes Robbielu
Hudswell said:
They are only a scam in the way they are promoted, they are not a true scam as they are selling Tesla Patent plans and they do refund your money if you are not happy. I bought many plans out of curiousity, most are more like back yard experiments producing around 2 or 3 ma. The one I am building is the only one that showed potential to produce enough amps to trickle charge my solar battery bank. This one apparently works by drawing from the battery and returning about 4-5 times what it draws via the permanent magnets. Having said that, do you have any thoughts on my question, I forgot to mention that the plans showing the additional circuit also has a spark gap in it before going to the primary and secondary coil.

Yes, I have a thought. You cannot recover more energy back out of the mechanism than you put in, whether there are magnets or not. That would be called "Free Energy", and it does not work. Please don't waste your time on pursing such things.

1. How does a Tesla coil work?

A Tesla coil is an electrical resonant transformer circuit that is used to produce high-voltage, low-current, high-frequency alternating-current electricity. It works by converting the input voltage into high-frequency, high-voltage AC current that is then passed through a resonant transformer, which amplifies the voltage even further. This high-voltage current is then discharged through a series of sparks, creating the characteristic lightning-like arcs seen in Tesla coils.

2. What materials are needed to build a Tesla coil?

The materials needed to build a Tesla coil include a high-voltage power source, such as a high-voltage transformer or a microwave oven transformer, a capacitor, a spark gap, a primary coil, a secondary coil, and a top load. Other materials such as wire, insulation, and a base for the coil can also be used depending on the design of the Tesla coil.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when building a Tesla coil?

Building a Tesla coil can be dangerous, as it involves working with high-voltage electricity. Some safety precautions that should be taken include wearing protective gear such as rubber gloves and goggles, working on a non-conductive surface, and disconnecting the power source before making any adjustments to the coil. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher nearby, as sparks from the coil can potentially start a fire.

4. Can a Tesla coil be used for practical purposes?

While Tesla coils are primarily used for demonstrations and entertainment, they can also be used for practical purposes. For example, they can be used in radio transmitters, wireless power transmission, and medical devices. However, due to their high-voltage output, they are not as efficient or practical as other forms of electrical equipment.

5. What are some common challenges when building a Tesla coil?

One of the most common challenges when building a Tesla coil is achieving the correct resonance between the primary and secondary coils. This can be challenging because the coil must be tuned to a specific frequency, which requires precise calculations and adjustments. Another challenge is preventing electrical breakdown, which can occur when the voltage is too high and can cause damage to the coil. Additionally, finding the right components and materials for the coil can also be a challenge, as they may not be readily available or affordable.