Building a Successful Tesla Coil: Tips and Tricks for Coil Builders

In summary, most people here have built Tesla Coils, and the spacing for flash over is dependant on the primary voltage, autotransformer, and the capacitors thickness.
EvilTesla
Tesla Coils!

How many here have built Tesla Coils?

I am wondering becouse i am currently building my seconed Tesla Coil.

(My first one barly worked, pretty much made out of hot-glue)

And I'd like some group to dump all my questions on, only other forums I know of to post questions, won't answer most of my Endless questions.

So, is anyone else here besides me coil?

Engineering news on Phys.org

The search feature is your friend. I did a thread title search on Tesla, just in the EE forum, and got these hits. Hopefully those threads will answer most of your questions:

https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=1352131 [Broken]

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:

with a name like EvilTesla, maybe it's a bad idea to divulge him all of our information... he's on to something with those coils...

lol, I promise I won't do anything overtly evil without at least a small warning and a one-liner.

I have looked through the first few pages of results and found nothing helpfull.

I guess I'll just ask my first two questions and see what turns up...

First, when building the capacitor, I know the plates have to be smaller than the dielectric to avoid flash-over, but how much smaller? would a .5 inch boarder do it?

Second, if I create a capacitor with ten layers of a 4 mill material, can I assume that the total highth is 40 mill? Or is it significantly greater due to some error?

I do have more questions (they never end) these are just the simpilest so far...

What material did you use to make it?

If you use a normal beer bottle, you will be able to make a good enough capacitor :)

Have made many of them, including practical 50,000V air core resonant capacitor charging power supply.

as to your questions, flash over spacing:
it depends on your primary voltage, air breaks down at 70,000V per inch (under controlled circumstances) but because homemade capacitors don’t control corona discharge this distance is much greater. I suggest that you experiment. Also the primary circuit can have much higher voltages then the primary transformer actually provides I would design the capacitor at least 4 times as resistant to the voltage then what your transformer will give you. That said, for 12,000VAC I usually go with 1" of space around the plate (not submerged in oil). Note that 12,000VAC has a peek to peek of around 16000V

As far as the plate stack, yes you can assume that it will be 40 mil, if you build a clamping device, if you just stack it, it will be taller. either way you will want to measure it as the calculations depend on it. You can clamp it with wood and 3/8" plastic all thread. or nylon with plastic all thread.

Most PE film I have used resists voltages of 1500V/mil minimum. It varies greatly. I might make a test jig. I assume that you are using a neon sign transformer. You should have an autotransformer supplying the power to the system so you can adjust it, If you don’t have one I suggest getting one. Anyway to setup the jig you simply get two blocks of dry wood, put some aluminum foil tape on the two blocks, put the sheet between the plates and connect the plates to the neon sign transformer. Use the autotransformer to bring the neon sign transformer online, turn the dial up slowly, and note when the dielectric breaks down. Do this several times and use the lowest value that you tested to.(unless it was a defect in the PE film).

I might use a 40 mil thickness to make a 12000VAC Polyethylene capacitor but that is just me not pushing the limit. at 10 layers, you should have enough redundancy to avoid failure due to small film defects.

Be safe.

one more thing, corona discharge is destructive to the PE dielectric, it will destroy your capacitor if not built with plenty of extra bulk. although you don't have to worry much below 4000V, 12000V produces plenty of it.

What is a Tesla Coil?

A Tesla Coil is an electrical resonant transformer circuit that is used to produce high-voltage, low-current, high-frequency alternating-current electricity. It was invented by Nikola Tesla in the late 1800s and is commonly used for demonstrations of high voltage phenomena and as a source of entertainment.

What is "Tesla Coil Builders Unite!"?

"Tesla Coil Builders Unite!" is a community of individuals who are passionate about building and experimenting with Tesla Coils. It serves as a platform for sharing knowledge, resources, and ideas related to Tesla Coil building.

What is the purpose of building a Tesla Coil?

The purpose of building a Tesla Coil is primarily for educational, scientific, and entertainment purposes. It allows for the exploration of high voltage phenomena, and can also be used to power certain devices wirelessly. Some people also build Tesla Coils as a hobby or for artistic purposes.

Do I need to have a background in electrical engineering to build a Tesla Coil?

While having a background in electrical engineering can be helpful, it is not necessary to build a Tesla Coil. There are many resources and tutorials available online that can guide individuals with little to no experience in building their own Tesla Coil.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a Tesla Coil?

Yes, building a Tesla Coil can be dangerous and should be approached with caution. It is important to have a basic understanding of electricity and to follow safety guidelines, such as wearing protective gear and using proper insulation. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby and to not operate the Tesla Coil near flammable materials.