Tesla Rotating Magnetic Fields

In summary, this system uses a signal generator to create a sine wave which is then split into two channels by a differential phase splitter. The two channels are then fed into two basic audio amplifiers. Each amplifier has two output channels which are then fed into the coils. There is no need for capacitors as the 90 degree phase shift is automatically maintained.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I was just rummaging through some old Tesla patents I have and I came across patent US381968, which describes different ways to make two-phase AC motors. The setup that I am interested in is on the second page and shows a toroidal core with four coils wrapped on it as the stator. (I believe this setup is also displayed at the Tesla museum too). Anyway, I am still trying to find a simple way to make the 90 degree offset in the signal without using capacitors. I have a couple of ideas about this and thought I would run them past you all.

1. Simply connecting the coils in series. If all four coils are connected in series around the toroid, will the coils automatically shift the current by 90 degrees?

2. Winding them all in series and using a specific input frequency. I was thinking about antennas and how they can be tuned to specific wavelengths depending on the length of the wire. Could one conceivably make each coil 1/4 wavelength of the input frequency to get the 90 degree phase shifting effect?

3. Inductively drive the coils. What if each coil is shorted and one of the four coils is fed with the driving frequency?

4. Inductively drive the coils as tank circuits. What if I setup each individual coil as a series LC and inductively drive three of the LC circuits using one with the input signal attached?

Thanks,
Jason O

Attachments

• Rotating Field Core.gif
    Rotating Field Core.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,315
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi All,

Here is some more information. I found a video about Tesla on Google here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2256433507046558974&q=tesla&hl=en

If you look around 15 minutes into it. They show an exhibit at the Tesla Museum of the rotating torous.

Thanks,
Jason O

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently built a solid state version of a Tesla patent similar to the one you mention.

It is variable from 10hz to 10khz. In a nutshell a sine wave from a signal generator feeds into a simple analog differential phase splitter with two outputs (it automatically maintains a 90 degree phase shift - no adjustments necessary) which then feeds the left and right channels of basic audio amplifier and the 2 output channels from the audio amplifier feed the coils.

Construction details are here:
http://electropub.files.wordpress.c...-4-coils-wrapped-around-a-ferrite-toroid1.pdf

I also attached the PDF and the phase shifter circuit diagram to this post.

Attachments

• phaser.gif
    phaser.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 700
  • rotating-magnetic-field-using-4-coils-wrapped-around-a-ferrite-toroid1.pdf
    686.5 KB · Views: 1,398
Last edited:

1. What is a Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field?

A Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field is a type of alternating magnetic field that was discovered by Nikola Tesla in the late 19th century. It is created by two or more alternating current (AC) currents that are out of phase with each other, resulting in a rotating magnetic field.

2. How does a Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field work?

In order to create a Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field, two or more alternating current (AC) currents are passed through a stator, which is a stationary part of an electric motor or generator. The currents are out of phase with each other, causing the magnetic field to rotate. This rotating magnetic field then interacts with the rotor, causing it to spin.

3. What is the purpose of a Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field?

The purpose of a Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field is to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is commonly used in electric motors and generators, as well as other devices that require rotating motion.

4. What are the benefits of using a Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field?

One of the main benefits of a Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field is its efficiency. It allows for the conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy with minimal energy loss. Additionally, it is a simple and reliable way to create a rotating motion, making it a popular choice for various applications.

5. Are there any practical applications for a Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field?

Yes, there are many practical applications for a Tesla Rotating Magnetic Field. As mentioned before, it is commonly used in electric motors and generators. It is also used in devices such as fans, blowers, and pumps. It can also be found in household appliances like washing machines and refrigerators.