Was My Prof. Wrong? Temperature & Potency Questions Answered

In summary, the conversation revolved around two questions regarding the temperature of water at maximum density and a potency question with an answer of 1125. The individual jokingly wrote 1124.999... as the answer, but their professor marked it wrong due to rules in physics. The concept of significant figures was mentioned as a possible reason for the discrepancy in the answers. The individual was advised to speak to their professor for clarification on the marking rather than seeking answers from others.
Dante69x
1. 2 questions, one asked for the temperature of the water max density and the other one a Potency question which the awnser was 1125...

Trying to be funny( hahaha funny as **** ) i wrote 1124,999... as the anwser, since 1124,999...=1125 but my prof. said it was wrong this statement in physics because of some rules, i want to understand why if someone could tell me, the other doubt is that i wrote that the water max density was 3,98ºC he said it is 4ºC then he took 0,5 out of the question that worthed 2...

Can someone agree with me that in both situations i was right? ahahhha

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't bold your entire post. It's completely unnecessary and makes it hard to read.

Your problem in both cases was probably significant figures. While 1125 = 1124.99... exactly in mathematics, they have different numbers of significant figures. 1125 has four significant figures, 1124.99... has infinite significant figures. Clearly no experiment has infinite precision. Likewise for the second problem: 3.98 has three significant figures and 4 has one. I would assume that the quantities in your question had one significant figure and so your answer should have had one significant figure. Of course, since you have not given any of the reasons your professor gave you, this is only an educated guess.

You would be much better advised to speak to your professor if you have questions about his marking than having other people try to guess with limited information.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and potency?

The relationship between temperature and potency is complex and varies depending on the substance in question. In general, higher temperatures can increase the potency of certain substances, while other substances may become less potent at higher temperatures. It is important to consult scientific studies and guidelines specific to the substance in question to determine the exact relationship.

2. Can changes in temperature affect the potency of medications?

Yes, changes in temperature can affect the potency of medications. Many medications are sensitive to temperature and can degrade or lose potency if exposed to extreme temperatures. It is important to store medications according to their recommended temperature range to maintain their potency.

3. Does the temperature at which a substance is stored affect its potency?

Yes, the temperature at which a substance is stored can affect its potency. As mentioned previously, some substances may become more potent at higher temperatures, while others may degrade and lose potency. It is important to store substances at the recommended temperature range to maintain their efficacy.

4. How does humidity impact the potency of substances?

Humidity can impact the potency of substances in a few different ways. High humidity levels can cause certain substances to degrade and lose potency, while low humidity levels can cause other substances to become more potent. It is important to consider humidity levels when storing and handling substances to maintain their potency.

5. How can I ensure that the temperature of my laboratory is optimal for maintaining the potency of substances?

To ensure that the temperature of your laboratory is optimal for maintaining the potency of substances, it is important to regularly monitor and control the temperature. This can be done through the use of temperature-controlled storage units and monitoring devices. It is also important to follow any specific temperature guidelines for the substances being stored. Regular maintenance and calibration of equipment can also help ensure proper temperature control.