Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test for fractional dimensions

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    What experiment could determine whether our universe is fractal?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2
    Your question can't be answered. Fractal isn't a well-defined property. Fractal vaguely implies self-symmetry, but this isn't good enough to give a yes or no answer.

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

From what I understand of fractional dimensions, they are such that there is not complete freedom of movement in them (i.e. their freedom of movement is a fraction of 1). This means there are discrete positions, not a continuum.

There should in principle be a test that could show that an object could not move continuously through that dimension, but would move in quantized jumps.

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4
    You mean like quantum states for example? Oops sorry, just re read and see you said quantized jumps that's what I was thinking of. So since energy is quantized then is that evidence that there are fractional dimensions?

6. Jul 27, 2009 #5

apeiron

Gold Member

7. Jul 27, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

1] I'm just hypothesizing. None of this comes close to constituting evidence.
    2] My supposition is that a fractal universe would require a quantized spatial dimension. Don't see how energy being quantized would apply.

8. Jul 27, 2009 #7
    Take a really drunken guy, suppose he can walk in all directions possible, and measure how long it takes for the guy to drift away from a starting point. That is related to the number of dimensions. Some people even call it "spectral dimension".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook