Calculate Air Temperature for 4th of July Fireworks Using Speed of Sound Formula

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation is about finding the temperature of the air based on the time difference between seeing a flash and hearing the corresponding sound. The equation used is Vsound = sqrt (GAMMA * R * T) / M, where R is a universal gas constant and GAMMA and M are constants specific to air. The equation can also be written as T = ((vsound - 331 m/s) / 0.6 m/s) °C, which gives a temperature of 28.5 °C using the given values.
BuBbLeS01
Test On Monday...please help!

Homework Statement

My home is exactly 7.8 km from the Stadium where the 4th of July fireworks are held. The time difference between when I see a flash and when I hear the corresponding sound is 22.4073542085608 s. What is the temperature (in degrees Celsius) of the air?

Homework Equations

Vsound = sqrt (GAMMA * R * T) / M

The Attempt at a Solution

T = 20 degrees Celsius + 273 = 293
V = 7800/22.4073542085608 = 348.1 m/s

T = Vsound^2 * M / GAMMA * R

But I don't know M, GAMMA, or R?

Physics news on Phys.org
BuBbLeS01 said:
The time difference between when I see a flash and when I hear the corresponding sound is 22.4073542085608 s.
With 16 significant figures, whoever devised this problem has a sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless...

R is a universal constant; gamma and M are constants specific to air. Read all about it here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe3.html#c1"

Astronuc beat me to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
lol I know I love the 16 sig figs. So I understand that...but she showed us this way...
T = ((vsound - 331 m/s) / 0.6 m/s) °C
= ((348.1 m/s - 331 m/s) / 0.6 m/s) °C
= 28.5 °C

And I am don't know where she got that equation and some of the numbers from?

BuBbLeS01 said:
And I am don't know where she got that equation and some of the numbers from?
The link I provided derives that exact equation.

oh yea I am sorry I didn't scroll down.

can someone please help me?

1. How is air temperature calculated for 4th of July fireworks?

The air temperature for 4th of July fireworks can be calculated using the speed of sound formula, which takes into account the speed of sound, the distance between the fireworks and the observer, and the time it takes for the sound to reach the observer.

2. What is the speed of sound formula?

The speed of sound formula is as follows: Speed of sound (m/s) = Distance (m) / Time (s).

3. How does the speed of sound formula relate to the air temperature for 4th of July fireworks?

The speed of sound is affected by air temperature, with higher temperatures resulting in a faster speed of sound. Therefore, by measuring the speed of sound and applying it to the formula, the air temperature can be calculated.

4. What other factors can affect the accuracy of the air temperature calculation for 4th of July fireworks?

Other factors that can affect the accuracy of the air temperature calculation include changes in wind speed, humidity, and altitude. These factors can impact the speed of sound and should be taken into consideration when using the formula.

5. Why is it important to calculate the air temperature for 4th of July fireworks?

Calculating the air temperature is important for ensuring the safety and success of the fireworks display. The temperature can affect the speed of sound and the way the sound waves travel, which can impact the timing and synchronization of the fireworks. It can also help in planning and adjusting the display to create the desired effects.