Help on Electric Field Calculations for Test Preparation

In summary, the conversation discussed various problems related to electric fields and charge densities. The first problem involved finding the charge density and electric field at a given point on a line with a charge of density -2uC. The second problem used Gauss's law to find the electric field at different distances from an insulating spherical shell with a given charge. The third problem involved deriving an expression for the electric field at the center of an arc with a uniform charge. Finally, the conversation also covered a problem involving two perpendicular conducting sheets with given charges, and the method of finding the magnitude of the electric field at a given point.
mmmboh
Hi I have a test next week and am currently on spring break so I don't have a teacher to ask for help, I just want to confirm that some of these answers are correct and get some help for others.

1. A line with a charge of density -2uC is on the x-axis starting at point x=1m to x=3.5m. Find its charge density and derive an expression for the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a point situated at x=-1.5m.

Ok so here's what I did:

E=[tex]\int[/tex](KDQ)/r^2

I did [tex]\lambda[/tex]=dQ/dL and dQ=(Qdx)/2.5 (2.5 is the length of the line)

I took the limits to be 1 to 3.5, and r^2=2.5^2=6.25

So E=KQ/(2.5x6.25)[tex]\int[/tex]dx ...with limits 1 to 3.5

so E=KQ/15.6 (3.5-1), the final answer I got was 2.88x10^4 N/C, and the direction is left.

Is that right? if it isn't what do I change?

2. An insulating spherical shell with an inner radius 0.1 cm and outer radius 0.3 cm carries a total charge of 20 nC. Use Gauss's law to find an expression for the electric field at a distance r=0.08cm, r=0.2cm, r=0.4cm.

So what I did was [tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\int[/tex]EdA = Qin/E0...integral of dA is A and A=4[tex]\Pi[/tex]r^2...
So then I did E=20nC/(4[tex]\Pi[/tex]r^2E0)...and I plugged in the different radii...however this is wrong, or most of it anyway, can someone help please?

3. An arc length with a length of 6 cm and a radius of 3cm carries a uniform charge of 10nC. Derive an expression for the magnitude and direction of electric field at the center.

I don't know what to do for this one. Am I suppose to integrate? like E=[tex]\int[/tex](KdQ)/r^2...

Thanks a lot for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For a point at -1.5 x, call it P, you have an integral that looks like k*dq/r2 = k*λ/r2*dx

where λ = c/l = 2 μC /2.5 m.
and r = (2.5 +x)

So don't you want to integrate k*λ/(2.5 + x)2*dx from 1 to 3.5?

Ok so the integral is [tex]\int[/tex]K[tex]\lambda[/tex]dx/(2.5+x)^2 from 1 to 3.5.
Which becomes -K[tex]\lambda[/tex]/(2.5+x) from 1 to 3.5. And so the final answer is 8.57 x 10^9 C/m to the left?

But why is r (2.5 + x)?...is it because x=-1.5 and the start of the line is at 1, and the difference is 2.5...and then x is just a place where it could be on the line? I am confused :S

mmmboh said:
Ok so the integral is [tex]\int[/tex]K[tex]\lambda[/tex]dx/(2.5+x)^2 from 1 to 3.5.
Which becomes -K[tex]\lambda[/tex]/(2.5+x) from 1 to 3.5. And so the final answer is 8.57 x 10^9 C/m to the left?

But why is r (2.5 + x)?...is it because x=-1.5 and the start of the line is at 1, and the difference is 2.5...and then x is just a place where it could be on the line? I am confused :S

That's right. r is the displacement function from the point that you are measuring to the closest dq that you are going to integrate. So in the equation for the E field you have

dE = k*λ/r2*dx

But since r is a function of x, as in r(x) = (2.5 + x)

Two perpendicular conducting sheets with area 2m^2 each. One has a charge of +10uC and the other +30uC uniformly spread over their surfaces. Find the magnitude of the electric field at the point (0.4m, 0.5m) from the corner. Neglect the end effects.

So what I did was E=[tex]\sigma/2E0 [/tex] (Sorry I couldn't find the absolute not symbol)

So then I found [tex]\sigma1[/tex] = 15uC/m^2, and [tex]\sigma2[/tex]=5uc/m^2, and I plugged them both into the equation E=[tex]\sigma/2E0 [/tex] and then I squared both of them and added them together, and then I square rooted it to find the magnitude...and I neglected the points (0.4m, 0.5m)...the final answer I got is 9.18x10^4 N/C. Did I do this properly?

I have a test Monday, and am on spring break so I have no one to ask, help is much appreciated :)

Looks like a good method.

Your squares are 1.4m on a side, so the .4,.5 coordinate looks like you can rely on the construction that the E field from both components can be given by:

E = σ/2εo

Taking the RSS of 5 and 15, in x and y, I get 15.5μC/2εo

Sorry I don't understand. The square is 1.4m on both sides? are you talking about a gaussian surface, if so why 1.4?...and what does RSS mean?

mmmboh said:
Sorry I don't understand. The square is 1.4m on both sides? are you talking about a gaussian surface, if so why 1.4?...and what does RSS mean?

2m2 means 1.4 m on a side.

Root Sum of the Squares is shortened to RSS.

Ok I did:
[tex]\sigma1[/tex]=10uC/2m^2=5uC/m^2
and [tex]\sigma2[/tex]=30uC/2m^2=15uC/m^2

and then I plugged them into the equation E=[tex]sigma/(2εo)[/tex]

So E1 I got is 2.83x10^11 and E2 is 8.48x10^11

And then I RSS'd them and got 8.94x10^11 N/C...it's a little bit different from yours, but I think it's right?

mmmboh said:
Ok I did:
[tex]\sigma1[/tex]=10uC/2m^2=5uC/m^2
and [tex]\sigma2[/tex]=30uC/2m^2=15uC/m^2

and then I plugged them into the equation E=[tex]sigma/(2εo)[/tex]

So E1 I got is 2.83x10^11 and E2 is 8.48x10^11

And then I RSS'd them and got 8.94x10^11 N/C...it's a little bit different from yours, but I think it's right?

Probably, because mine was in error, I typo'd 15.5 when I meant 15.8.

But it look's like a factor of μ is missing in your final magnitude.

Ah, thanks a lot for the help! :)

1. What is an electric field and how is it calculated?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity. It is calculated by dividing the force exerted on the charged particle by its charge.

2. What is the equation for calculating the electric field?

The equation for calculating the electric field is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force exerted on the charged particle, and q is the charge of the particle.

3. How do you determine the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force on a positive test charge. If the force is in the same direction as the electric field, the field is considered to be outward. If the force is in the opposite direction, the field is considered to be inward.

4. What is the SI unit for electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

5. How do you use the electric field equation to solve problems?

To solve problems using the electric field equation, you will need to identify the values of the force and charge, and then plug them into the equation to calculate the electric field. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the field and use the correct units for your calculations.