Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test Question on Inverses

1. Oct 17, 2015 #1
    How would you answer the following question?

If ##(f\circ g)(x)=x##, then ##g## is the inverse function of ##f##. True/False?

This is on a test that I gave and I now think it is a bad question, but I'm tired and I want to hear some other people's impressions. The wording of the question is exactly what I wrote above.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2015 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It is a good question, very fair. Independent variable is x. g is a function of x, and f is a function of x. Think what the hypothesis says. Put x into g and then put g into f; and the result is x, the number that you started with. Function f reversed what function g did. INVERSE!

If you give a function a number x, and the result becomes x, then obviously the function gives you exactly what you gave it. That is what a function composed with its inverse does.

4. Oct 17, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's a very good question.

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4
    The reason I have an issue is the example ##f(x)=x^2## and ##g(x)=\sqrt x##. For all ##x## in the domain of ##(f\circ g)(x)## the statement is true because the composition is only defined when ##x\geq0##. However, ##f## is not the inverse of ##g##. I had this on my test for a few years for the reasons stated, but I am not convinced that the implication hold in this direction. That is, I think if ##f## and ##g## are inverses, the equation holds, but if the equation holds, ##f## and ##g## are only inverses given certain qualifications about the domains.

6. Oct 18, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That was also the counterexample I thought of, as well. If f and g are inverses, the composition should be commutative, but with these two functions, ##(g \circ f)(x) \neq x##.

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Good catch! We must distinguish between inverse relations and inverse functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook