Inverse Functions: Evaluating a Question on Compositions

• Thread starter DrewD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: For a relation, the composite always goes both ways. But for a function, we only have a composite one way.In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the composition of functions and their inverses, using the example of ##(f\circ g)(x)=x##. The question is deemed to be fair and the concept of inverse functions is explained. However, the example of ##f(x)=x^2## and ##g(x)=\sqrt x## is given as a counterexample, showing that the implication may not hold in this direction. It is pointed out that this is due to the difference between inverse relations and inverse functions.
DrewD
How would you answer the following question?

If ##(f\circ g)(x)=x##, then ##g## is the inverse function of ##f##. True/False?

This is on a test that I gave and I now think it is a bad question, but I'm tired and I want to hear some other people's impressions. The wording of the question is exactly what I wrote above.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is a good question, very fair. Independent variable is x. g is a function of x, and f is a function of x. Think what the hypothesis says. Put x into g and then put g into f; and the result is x, the number that you started with. Function f reversed what function g did. INVERSE!

If you give a function a number x, and the result becomes x, then obviously the function gives you exactly what you gave it. That is what a function composed with its inverse does.

It's a very good question.

The reason I have an issue is the example ##f(x)=x^2## and ##g(x)=\sqrt x##. For all ##x## in the domain of ##(f\circ g)(x)## the statement is true because the composition is only defined when ##x\geq0##. However, ##f## is not the inverse of ##g##. I had this on my test for a few years for the reasons stated, but I am not convinced that the implication hold in this direction. That is, I think if ##f## and ##g## are inverses, the equation holds, but if the equation holds, ##f## and ##g## are only inverses given certain qualifications about the domains.

DrewD said:
The reason I have an issue is the example ##f(x)=x^2## and ##g(x)=\sqrt x##. For all ##x## in the domain of ##(f\circ g)(x)## the statement is true because the composition is only defined when ##x\geq0##. However, ##f## is not the inverse of ##g##. I had this on my test for a few years for the reasons stated, but I am not convinced that the implication hold in this direction. That is, I think if ##f## and ##g## are inverses, the equation holds, but if the equation holds, ##f## and ##g## are only inverses given certain qualifications about the domains.
That was also the counterexample I thought of, as well. If f and g are inverses, the composition should be commutative, but with these two functions, ##(g \circ f)(x) \neq x##.

DrewD said:
Mark44 said:
That was also the counterexample I thought of, as well. If f and g are inverses, the composition should be commutative, but with these two functions, ##(g \circ f)(x) \neq x##.
Good catch! We must distinguish between inverse relations and inverse functions.

1. What is an inverse?

An inverse is a mathematical operation that "undoes" another operation. For example, the inverse of addition is subtraction, the inverse of multiplication is division, and the inverse of exponentiation is logarithm.

2. What is the inverse of a function?

The inverse of a function is a new function that "undoes" the original function. It is denoted as f^-1(x) and has the property that f(f^-1(x)) = x and f^-1(f(x)) = x. In other words, applying the original function and then the inverse function will return the original input, and vice versa.

3. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. The resulting equation will be the inverse function. It is also important to check that the inverse function is a valid function by making sure that every output of the original function has a unique input in the inverse function.

4. What is the domain and range of an inverse function?

The domain of an inverse function is the range of the original function, and the range of an inverse function is the domain of the original function. This means that the inputs and outputs of the inverse function are the reverse of the inputs and outputs of the original function.

5. Can all functions have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must be a one-to-one function, meaning that each input has a unique output. If a function is not one-to-one, its inverse will not be a valid function.