Solve Golf Ball Trajectory: Time, Max Height, Distance, and Final Velocity

• Thread starter pooface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: And I just saw you corrected yourself on part b, sorry about that. In summary, the golf ball is struck at a height of 12 m above the plain of a tee with a velocity of 40m/s at an angle of 30 degrees. Using projectile motion formulas, the time of flight is found to be 4.6084 seconds, the maximum height above the plane is 20.408m, the horizontal distance to the point of landing is 158.25m, and the final velocity is 42.6 m/s at an angle of -36.28 degrees. However, it should be noted that the formula used for part b may not be accurate since it neglects the initial height.
pooface
TEST question!

Homework Statement

Golf ball is struck at 12 m above the plain of a tee giving it a velocity of 40m/s at an angle of 30degrees.

a) find the time of flight
b) find max height above plane
c) horizontal distance to point of landing.
d) final velocity and angle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vox = 40cos30
Voy = 40sin30

a) -12 = 40sin30t + 0.5(-g)t^2
t=4.6084 seconds

b) disregarding the 12m elevation (which i will add later on).
0=40sin30t + 0.5(-g)t^2
t=4.0775s
t/2 = time at peak
y= - 0.5(-g)t^2 +12
= 32.387m

c)x =voxt
= 34.34(4.6084)
=158.25m

d)
-12= Vfy(4.6084) -0.5(-g)(4.6084)^2
Vfy = 25.21m/s
angle = arctan(vfy/vox) = -36.28deg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

the a),b),c),d)

That's not a question.

What do you want?

What i meant was, confirmation of process.

Have i done this correctly? I want to check because I want to see if I screwed up a test question.
Thanks.

I'd have a look at b again. You can't assume that the maximum height comes at half the flight time because of the difference in elevation from where it was hit and where it lands.

I'd also try part d again. The velocity in the formula you're using there is an initial velocity.

part b) what i did was I neglected the initial height because i want to calculate the time of impact then half that time. Using this time, I get the height. but i would have to add the 12m back to get the real height.

I also could have used

Vfy=Voy+at

0=-20+(-9.81)t

which equals the same 2.039s.

part d) since vox is constant the final would be the same as well. so i just thought i would still name it vox.

Hey, I got a question. Isint this just direct applcations of projectile formulas.
Like: DeltaT= 2ViSintheta/g and so on?

Everything looks right to me except b). d) is correct... but a couple of little things are there...

For b), they want the height above the plane... not the height above the ground... so you wouldn't add 12...

also, you want: d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2 = 40sin30t + 0.5(-g)t^2... plug in t = 4.0755/2 will work.. gives 20.408m

you can also use: v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad. v2 = 0, v1 = 40sin(30). so d = 40^2[sin(30)]^2/(2g) = 20.408m

Kurdt, the formula being used in part d, is d = vf*t - (1/2)at^2 which is a correct formula.

In part d, your Vfy should be -25.21 which is probably what you meant. So the final speed is sqrt[(-25.21)^2 + (34.34)^2] = 42.6 m/s. and the angle is right -36.28 degrees. ie: 36.28 degrees below the horizontal

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the time of a golf ball's trajectory?

The time of a golf ball's trajectory can be calculated using the formula t = 2 * V * sinθ / g, where t is the time, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What factors affect the maximum height of a golf ball's trajectory?

The maximum height of a golf ball's trajectory is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and air resistance. The higher the initial velocity and launch angle, the higher the maximum height. Air resistance, or drag, can also decrease the maximum height of the trajectory.

3. How is the distance traveled by a golf ball calculated?

The distance traveled by a golf ball can be calculated using the formula d = V² * sin(2θ) / g, where d is the distance, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes a flat surface with no air resistance.

4. Can the final velocity of a golf ball be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible for the final velocity of a golf ball to be greater than the initial velocity. This can occur if the ball is hit on an uphill slope or if there is a tailwind. However, in most cases, the final velocity will be lower due to air resistance and the effects of gravity.

5. How does the type of golf club used affect the trajectory of the golf ball?

The type of golf club used can greatly affect the trajectory of the golf ball. Drivers, which have a lower loft angle, will result in a lower launch angle and a longer distance traveled. Higher lofted clubs, such as irons and wedges, will result in a higher launch angle and a shorter distance traveled. The weight and design of the club can also impact the trajectory, as well as the skill and technique of the golfer.