1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test questions

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1
    I'm going over old exam questions for the final. I'm not sure what the departament will put on the exams so I'm trying to go over as much as possible, but I having problems figuring certain problems out:

y^(5) + 3y^(4) - 5y''' - 15'' + 4y' + 12y = 0

How do you find the five solutions to the equation and then put it into the 5 dimensional system of first order equations.

Let A be a square matrix, and let Y be a fundamental matrix for the homogeneous linear system x' = Ax.

a) Verify by substituion that e^tA and (YY_0)^-1 are both solutions to the matrix IVP E(t)' = AE(t), E(0) = I, where Y_0 = Y(0).

All I can intepret from this is the e^tA = (YY_0)^-1 so if I can find Y I can slove this...but nothing else...

b) Find e^-A

A = [[1 2],[2,1]]

Any help would be apprecaited, thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2
    For (1), the standard trick of assuming y=A*ekt gives you a solution basis fast, as all the roots of the characteristic equation are integers.
  4. Dec 9, 2005 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For 2 b), use eigenvectors and eigenvalues to write -A = S D S^(-1), where D is a diagonal matrix. Note that e^(-A) = e^(S D S^(-1)) = S (e^D) S^(-1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?