1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test Review 2 - a property of the infimum

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1
    Another question: Prove that if a set E in R has a finite infimum and e > 0 is any positive number, then there is a point a in E such that inf E <= a < inf E + e.

The first part, inf E <= a, is obvious from the definition of infimum.

I am having trouble showing that a < inf E + e, even though it seems obvious. My thought is to break it into two cases.

Case 1: inf E = a. Then, we know that since e is strictly greater than 0, that inf E < inf E + e. Thus a < inf E + e.

Case 2: inf E < a. Then what can I use to help me show that a < inf E + e?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Suppose the statement were NOT true. Since a is an infimum, it is a lower bound so there are no members of the set less than a. If there were no member of the set between a and a+ epsilon, there would be no members of the set less than a+ epsilon. What does that make a+ epsilon? How does that contradict the hypotheses?
  4. Oct 15, 2005 #3
    HallsofIvy, what are you supposing is not true? Do you follow my proof and then suppose that Case 2 is not true?

Or are you supposing the original statement is not true?

I understand where you are going ... that your assumption would show that
    a + epsilon would then become the infimum (but there is only one infimum for the set), but I'm not sure how you said that a was the infimum.

We have actually already shown that inf E <= a, so how do we know that a is exactly the infimum for the set?
  5. Oct 15, 2005 #4
    whats wrong with just saying let m = inf E then since e>0 then m+e is not a lower bound so there is some a in E such that a<m+e so m<=a<m+e
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?