1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test Review 5 - limit of a constant sequence

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1
    I need to prove that the limit of a constant sequence converges, using the definition of a limit.

This is what I have:

Let e > 0 be given.
    Then |sn - s| < e
    But sn = s for all sn, thus
    |s - s| < e
    |0| < e
    0 < e
    Thus N can be any number?

This proof is simple, but I am making it complicated! Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2
    Your solution is close but not correct. Remember, the definition of a limit involves [itex]\epsilon[/itex] AND [itex]\delta[/itex]. There is no mention of a [itex]\delta[/itex] in your proof.

4. Oct 15, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, Oxymoron, there is NO [itex]\delta[/itex] in the proof of a limit of sequenc! That's only for limit of a function in which the variable is takes on continuous values.

CMurphy, your proof is completely correct: N can be taken to be anything. It really is that easy!

5. Oct 15, 2005 #4
    Sorry guys, didn't realize it was a sequence. Halls is 100% correct, and so are you colleen. However, if it was a function then you need the delta. I hope you realize that you didnt need the delta because you only have a sequence.

6. Oct 16, 2005 #5
    That's a truth "with modification", since the epsilon-delta definition of limits (or continuity) can be formulated using only sequences.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?