Max Velocity and Height of Roller Coaster Track

In summary, the problem involves a man riding a frictionless roller coaster track with an initial velocity v_{o} and a bend with a radius of r at point A. The questions ask for the maximum v_{o} to keep the cart on the track at point A, and the necessary height h' for the cart to reach point B. The solution involves using the conservation of energy and setting the normal force to zero, resulting in v_{o} = \sqrt{g*(r-(2/3)h)} for part a) and h' = r/2 + 2h/3 for part b).
Panphobia

Homework Statement

b7mank.jpg

A man starts riding on a frictionless roller coaster track at initial velocity v[itex]_{o}[/itex]. At point A the radius of the bend is r.

a) What is the maximum v[itex]_{o}[/itex] such that when the cart gets at point A it stays on the track?
b) Using you answer in a) what should h' be such that the cart only just makes it to point B?

Homework Equations

Ei = Ef
mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So this question was kind of bugging me, and I want to know if I got it right so for the a) part this is what I did firstly

mgh + (1/2)mv[itex]_{o}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = mg(2/3)h+1/2mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]
v = [itex]\sqrt{2gh/3 + Vo^2}[/itex]

and then since at point be its a circle and its looking for the max velocity until the normal force = 0 I did
mv^2/r = mg
v = [itex]\sqrt{rg}[/itex]
then
rg = 2gh/3 + v[itex]_{o}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
v[itex]_{o}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{g*(r-(2/3)h)}[/itex]THEN for b) I just used Energy again.
so
v = [itex]\sqrt{rg}[/itex]
Ei = (1/2)mrg + mg(2/3)h
Ef = mgh'
h' = r/2 + 2h/3

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. :thumbs:

Likes 1 person
Oh thank you so much!This was one of two questions I was unsure of so I just went with my gut on it.

1. What is the maximum velocity of a roller coaster?

The maximum velocity of a roller coaster depends on various factors such as the height and steepness of the track, the weight and design of the train, and external forces like air resistance. However, the average maximum velocity of a modern roller coaster is around 50-70 miles per hour.

2. How is the maximum velocity of a roller coaster achieved?

The maximum velocity of a roller coaster is achieved through a combination of potential and kinetic energy. As the roller coaster train climbs to the highest point of the track, it gains potential energy. This energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the train accelerates down the track, reaching its maximum velocity at the bottom of a steep drop.

3. What is the highest point of a roller coaster track?

The highest point of a roller coaster track is known as the crest or the peak. This is the point where the train has the most potential energy. The height of the crest can vary greatly depending on the design of the roller coaster, with some reaching heights of over 400 feet.

4. How is the height of a roller coaster track determined?

The height of a roller coaster track is determined by the engineers and designers during the planning phase of the ride. They take into account factors such as the desired speed and forces, the design of the train, and the location and terrain of the ride. The height is then calculated to ensure a safe and thrilling experience for riders.

5. Can the maximum velocity and height of a roller coaster track be changed?

Yes, the maximum velocity and height of a roller coaster track can be changed. As technology and safety standards continue to improve, roller coaster manufacturers are able to create faster and taller rides. In addition, some roller coasters have the ability to be modified or have different trains added to alter the maximum velocity and height of the track.