Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test sockets

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    i need to design a test equipment for magnetic sensors and i need to use this in quality control department. the magnetic sensors come in SIP and MSOP packages. i need a socket to hold both temporarily untill the test is being carried out.
    can anyone help me find out a proper test socket for these packages?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I Googled MSOP test socket, and here's a result that came up (kinda pricey though--most people just make package adapters, and not sockets):
    http://www.logicalsys.com/1-to-1-adapters.asp

If you only need to test one or two of something, and don't mind a slow throughput, what I've done in the past is to design a board with the footprint of the package, and then just put the chip down right on the pads and pressed down (not sure how sensitive your devices are to ESD, however). If you can't get them to line up well to the pads, you can always take them into place.

As for your SIP... If your SIP is 0.100" spacing, it should fit into a breadboard, or any 0.100" spacing female socket strip of the appropriate width. Try Samtec or Mill-Max. If you need more than just sample quantities, head to Digikey or Mouser (I believe both sell breakaway headers of various spacings made by 3M and the above-mentioned companies)

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    i need a SIP socket with 0.050" spacing. and it would be great if the socket is of test and burn-in type.

5. Dec 8, 2008 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I'm not familiar with test and burn-in type sockets (ones that don't require any insertion force?) But you should be able to find something at the aforementioned manufacturers (and vendors). If you're looking for something really specialized, maybe someone else on this board can give you a referral.

6. Dec 9, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You could try calling Emulation Technology. If they don't have it, they may be able to point you to another company that does. I've been very impressed with the customer service from ET.

7. Feb 19, 2011 #6
    hello humanoid... I would like to help. please email me your requirements if you are still in need of a test socket.. send me a private message...

8. Feb 19, 2011 #7

berkeman

Welcome to the PF. humanoid hasn't posted since this thread over 2 years ago, so you may not get a reply from him.

If you have a link to a good source of test sockets, go ahead and post it here.

9. Mar 2, 2011 #8
    Thanks Berkeman... For test socket fabrication support, they may try COMPOMAX Technology .. They could be of great help...

10. Mar 2, 2011 #9

berkeman

(selfish post by me) -- I'm looking for LIF or ZIF Single-In-Line socket strips. Do you have pointers that would help me out? Infraction for me...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?