Test River pH: Make an Indicator at Home

• Thread starter Jason49
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph Test
In summary, the conversation is about finding a method to make a pH indicator at home for testing the pH of a river. The suggestion of googling "make your own ph indicator" was given and the use of boiled red cabbage as an indicator was mentioned. The question of the expected pH and the presence of pollution and animal life in the river was also raised. Another possible indicator using purple juice from "ink weed" berries was suggested.
Jason49
I need to test the ph of river. I need a method of making an indicator that I can make at home. Please help !

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Have you tried googling "make your own ph indicator"?

If you boil red cabbage - the water turns purple - the color is sensitive to pH.

Thanks

Jason49 said:
I need to test the ph of river. I need a method of making an indicator that I can make at home. Please help !
Do you know approximately what pH to expect? Is the river badly polluted? Is there any animal life present in the water?

I remember making an indicator from the purple juice of "ink weed" berries. It turned green in an alkali, I think.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your need to test the pH of a river. I understand the importance of monitoring the pH of bodies of water, as it can greatly impact the health of aquatic life and the overall ecosystem.

One method of making an indicator at home is by using red cabbage. Red cabbage contains a natural pH indicator that changes color depending on the acidity or basicity of a solution. Here is a simple procedure you can follow to create your own indicator using red cabbage:

Materials:
- Red cabbage (approximately 1/4 head)
- Water (enough to cover the cabbage)
- Pot or saucepan
- Strainer
- Clear glass or plastic container
- Lemon juice or vinegar (acidic solution)
- Baking soda (basic solution)

Procedure:
1. Cut the red cabbage into small pieces and place them in a pot or saucepan.
2. Add enough water to cover the cabbage and bring it to a boil.
3. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes until the water turns a deep purple color.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool down.
5. Once cooled, strain the cabbage leaves and transfer the purple liquid into a clear container.
6. This liquid is your homemade indicator. You can store it in the refrigerator for future use.
7. To test the pH of the river, fill a small container with river water and add a few drops of the indicator.
8. Observe the color change and compare it to a color chart to determine the pH level. Red or pink indicates acidity, while green or blue indicates basicity.

I hope this method of making an indicator at home is helpful for your pH testing needs. It is important to note that this is a simple and approximate method, and for more accurate results, it is recommended to use a commercially available pH testing kit.

Best of luck with your testing and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

1. How do I make an indicator for testing river pH at home?

To make an indicator for testing river pH at home, you will need red cabbage leaves, boiling water, and a clean container. Start by boiling the red cabbage leaves in water for about 10-15 minutes, then strain the liquid into the container. This liquid will act as your indicator for testing pH levels in the river.

2. What is the purpose of testing river pH?

The purpose of testing river pH is to measure the acidity or basicity of the water. This can help determine the health of the river and its inhabitants, as well as identify any potential sources of pollution.

3. How do I use the indicator to test river pH?

To use the indicator, simply collect a water sample from the river and add a few drops of the red cabbage indicator into the sample. The color of the water will change depending on its pH level. Compare the color to a pH color chart to determine the approximate pH level of the river water.

4. What is the ideal pH level for a healthy river?

The ideal pH level for a healthy river is between 6.5-8.5. This range is suitable for most aquatic life and indicates a well-balanced ecosystem. Any pH levels outside of this range may indicate potential issues or pollution in the river.

5. How often should I test the pH of the river?

The frequency of testing river pH depends on the specific needs and goals of your research or monitoring. However, it is generally recommended to test the pH at least once a month, or more frequently if there are known sources of pollution in the river.