Test the series for convergence

In summary, the conversation is about finding the convergence of the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left( 1 - \sqrt[n]{n} \right) and various methods to approach it. The suggested methods include using comparison tests, Cauchy's Condensation Test, and l'Hôpital's rule. The final solution is to use the comparison test with the function f(n) = \log(n)/n, which is asymptotically larger than 1-\sqrt[n]{n} and also diverges.
Sweet_GirL
hello
I have this one:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left( 1 - \sqrt[n]{n} \right) [/tex]

mmmmm am sure it will be tested by using one of the comparison tests
but am not getting it
any help?

this is not my homework, actually I finished my college 2 years ago.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by looking at the behavior of just [itex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex]. Use the techniques of logarithms to find [itex]\lim \sqrt[n]{n}[/itex]. Once you see what [itex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex] approaches, you should immediately be able to see how

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left( 1 - \sqrt[n]{n} \right)
[/tex]

must behave. If you don't see it, just consider what [itex](1-\sqrt[n]{n})[/itex] must approach, knowing the limit of [itex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex].

well,
[tex]1 - \sqrt[n]{n} \rightarrow 0[/tex] as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

and this will make no sense.

Sweet_GirL said:
well,
[tex]1 - \sqrt[n]{n} \rightarrow 0[/tex] as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

and this will make no sense.

You are quite right; in my zeal, I made a mistake in computing the limit of the n-th root of n and getting 0!

I might be wrong but try Cauchy's Condensation Test.
[tex]
1 - n^{\frac{1}{n}} = 2^k (1 - 2^{\frac{k}{2^k}})
[/tex]

Which obviously fails the limit test...

It must be solved by the standart test.

Anyone ?

In order to use the CCT your terms need to be positive and non-increasing. This isn't a big deal since we can just negate the sum, and consider the sum starting from n=3.

As for using "standard" tests, what about the integral test? I've only thought as far as:

[tex]\int_3^\infty (\sqrt[x]{x}-1)\ dx \ge \int_3^\infty (\sqrt[x]{3}-1)\ dx = \int_3^\infty (3^{1/x}-1)\ dx[/tex]

Theorem: A bounded monotonic sequence converges.

Gib Z said:
Theorem: A bounded monotonic sequence converges.

Yes, but a sequence is very different from a series. Unless you are referring to the partial sums; but this would require that you can bound the partial sums. Can you elaborate on how this is done?

The n-th root of n is greater than the n-th root of 1.

Still searching for a solution with standard tests ..

Try finding a function f(x) such that [tex]\sqrt[x]{x} - 1[/tex] >> f(x) using l'Hôpital's rule, [tex]\sqrt[x]{x} - 1[/tex] > f(x) on [1, ∞), and [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty f(n)[/itex] diverges. Then use the comparison test on your series and f(n).

Last edited:
I tried that
but its not easy to find that f
and also f must be positive

[itex]n^{1/n}-1[/itex] is asymptotic to [itex]\log(n)/n[/itex], so you need to analyze the convergence of [itex]\sum\log(n)/n[/itex]

g_edgar said:
[itex]n^{1/n}-1[/itex] is asymptotic to [itex]\log(n)/n[/itex], so you need to analyze the convergence of [itex]\sum\log(n)/n[/itex]

Ahh, this indeed will do it. Very clever.

1. What does it mean to "test a series for convergence"?

Testing a series for convergence means determining whether the sum of its terms approaches a finite limit or approaches infinity as the number of terms increases. It is an important concept in mathematics and physics to understand the behavior of infinite sequences and series.

2. How can I test a series for convergence?

There are several methods for testing a series for convergence, including the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

3. What is the ratio test and how does it work?

The ratio test is a method for determining the convergence of a series by looking at the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges, and if it is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is exactly 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

4. How do I know if a series is absolutely or conditionally convergent?

A series is absolutely convergent if the absolute values of its terms converge. This can be determined by applying one of the convergence tests. A series is conditionally convergent if it is convergent but not absolutely convergent. This is often determined by using the alternating series test, which looks at the behavior of alternating positive and negative terms in the series.

5. Why is it important to test a series for convergence?

Testing a series for convergence is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the terms in the series and understand whether the sum of those terms approaches a finite value or not. This is crucial in many applications, such as in physics and engineering, where infinite series are used to model real-world phenomena.