TEST tomorrow in physics and on this problem

In summary, the light-rail train accelerates from rest at 1.4 { m/s^2} for 15 { s}, travels at constant speed for 1100 { m}, and then decelerates at 2.2 { m/s^2} until it stops at the station. The distance between the stations is 1400m and it takes the train 77s to travel between them. This can be calculated using the equations Vf = Vo + at and x= 1/2(Vf + Vo)t by breaking the question into three parts and solving for the unknown variables.
john16O

Homework Statement

A light-rail train going from one station to the next on a straight section of track accelerates from rest at 1.4 { m/s^2} for 15 { s}. It then proceeds at constant speed for 1100 { m} before slowing down at 2.2 { m/s^2} until it stops at the station.

What is the distance between the stations?

How much time does it take the train to go between the stations?

Homework Equations

(vx)f= (vx)i + ax[tex]\Delta[/tex]t
xf= xi + (vx)i[tex]\Deltat[/tex] + 1/2ax([tex]\Deltat[/tex])2

(vx)f2= (vx)i2+2ax[tex]\Deltax[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know the answer but I can't figure out how to get to the right answer...
d= 1400m
t=77s

Physics news on Phys.org
Split the question into three different parts. Use equations Vf = Vo + at, x= 1/2(Vf + Vo)t.

For the first part, you are given Vo, a, t. You need to first find Vf, then x.

For the second part, you are given x and constant v. You must find t. Think about the units.

For the third part, you are given a (remember, it's deccelerating so it's - ), Vo, and Vf. Find t, then x.

At the end, add up all the times from the 3 parts to get 77s. And add the displacements together to get 1400m (I got 1357.5m, but 1400m is correct for the number of sig figs).

I hoped that helped, and that it wasn't too much information on how to solve the question.

As a scientist, my response would be as follows:

Based on the information provided, we can use the equations for constant acceleration to determine the distance between the two stations and the time it takes for the train to travel between them. The initial velocity (vxi) is 0 m/s, and the final velocity (vxf) after acceleration is 21 m/s. Using the first equation, we can calculate the distance traveled during the acceleration phase:

vxf = vxi + axΔt
21 m/s = 0 m/s + 1.4 m/s^2 * 15 s
d = vxiΔt + 1/2ax(Δt)^2
d = 0 m/s * 15 s + 1/2 * 1.4 m/s^2 * (15 s)^2
d = 105 m + 157.5 m
d = 262.5 m

Next, we can use the second equation to calculate the distance traveled during the constant speed phase:

vxf^2 = vxi^2 + 2axΔx
(21 m/s)^2 = (0 m/s)^2 + 2 * 2.2 m/s^2 * Δx
Δx = (21 m/s)^2 / (4.4 m/s^2)
Δx = 441 m

Finally, we can determine the total distance between the two stations by adding the distances traveled during the acceleration and constant speed phases:

d = 262.5 m + 441 m
d = 703.5 m or 0.7035 km

To calculate the time it takes for the train to travel between the two stations, we can use the third equation:

(vx)f = (vx)i + axΔt
0 m/s = 21 m/s + (-2.2 m/s^2) * Δt
Δt = 21 m/s / 2.2 m/s^2
Δt = 9.545 s

Therefore, the total time for the train to travel between the two stations is:

t = 15 s + 9.545 s + 77 s
t = 101.545 s or 1.69 minutes

In conclusion, the distance between the two stations is 703.5 m and the time it takes for the train to travel between them

1. What topics should I focus on for the physics test tomorrow?

For the physics test tomorrow, it is important to review all of the main topics that have been covered in class. This includes concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and electricity. Make sure to also review any equations or formulas that have been discussed.

2. How should I prepare for the physics test tomorrow?

The best way to prepare for the physics test tomorrow is to review your notes and any study materials provided by your teacher. Practice solving problems and equations, and make sure you understand the underlying concepts. You can also try discussing the material with classmates or creating flashcards to help with memorization.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the physics test tomorrow?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice solving different types of physics problems. Start by understanding the principles and equations behind each type of problem, and then try to solve similar problems on your own. You can also ask your teacher for additional practice problems or seek help from a tutor.

4. Can I use a calculator on the physics test tomorrow?

This depends on your teacher's specific instructions. Some teachers may allow the use of a calculator, while others may not. It is important to clarify this with your teacher beforehand to avoid any confusion or potential issues during the test.

5. What should I do if I don't understand a problem on the physics test tomorrow?

If you come across a problem that you don't understand during the physics test tomorrow, don't panic. Take a deep breath and read the problem carefully. Try to identify the key concepts and equations that apply to the problem. If you are still stuck, move on to the next problem and come back to it later if you have time. Remember, it is always okay to ask your teacher for clarification after the test if needed.