Force & Free Fall Projectile Homework Help

In summary: The force of friction is going against the applied force.In summary, a 3.0kg chair at rest is pulled across the floor by a 20N force. If the co-efficient of friction between the floor and chair is 0.25, calculate:a)the net force on the chair. answer=13Nb)the displacement of the chair after 2.0sm answer=8.4m
davie08

Homework Statement

1)A 3.0kg chair at rest is pulled across the floor by a 20N force.If the co-efficient of friction between the floor and chair is 0.25, calculate:
a)the net force on the chair. answer=13N
b)the displacement of the chair after 2.0sm answer=8.4m

Homework Equations

Fn=m*a Fn=Fa+Ff Fg=m*g Ff=m*FT(flipped for perpendicular)

V2=V1+a*t d=V1t+1/2a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I cnat get it started like I am lost with what equation to pick.

Physics news on Phys.org

First step is to draw a free body diagram. Did you get that far?

After that, I'm kind of confused about why you can't get it started. You already provided the equations. Just start substituting in what you do know, and solve for what you don't.

ya I drew the diagram what's the first equation that I use?

davie08 said:
ya I drew the diagram what's the first equation that I use?

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma

so is it 20=3.0*a

davie08 said:
so is it 20=3.0*a

No. You didn't sum up the forces. You only listed the "pulling" force, ignoring everything else. That's the point of the free body diagram, to list all of the forces and account for them all.

is Fg 29.4 and I forgot but doesn't Fg=F with the perpendicular and you seem like a pretty good person helping everyone out thanks for the help.

davie08 said:
is Fg 29.4 and I forgot but doesn't Fg=F with the perpendicular and you seem like a pretty good person helping everyone out thanks for the help.

You're still missing a force. Yes, normal force and weight cancel out. You've got the pulling force, but what else are you missing?

im missing the force of friction right but I got it form Ff=.25*29.4 and it equaled 7.35 is this right?

davie08 said:
im missing the force of friction right but I got it form Ff=.25*29.4 and it equaled 7.35 is this right?

In which direction?

if I add 6.67 and 7.35 with the eqn. Fn=Fa+Ff I get 14 but the answer is 13.

well does the direction matter

davie08 said:
if I add 6.67 and 7.35 with the eqn. Fn=Fa+Ff I get 14 but the answer is 13.

Where did you get 6.67?

well does the direction matter

Is force a vector or a scalar quantity?

I got 6.67 from 20=3*a but I guess that's wrong right but was the 7.35 right I am not sure what you mean by what direction like the friction is going against the applied force if that what you mean

davie08 said:
I got 6.67 from 20=3*a but I guess that's wrong right but was the 7.35 right I am not sure what you mean by what direction like the friction is going against the applied force if that what you mean

Ignore the 6.67, because that equation wasn't correct. You forgot to include the force of friction, which you just identified, and in any case, diving by mass will just give you acceleration. You're not looking for acceleration just yet. You just want the net force.

Now, what I mean by direction is what direction the force is acting. As I'm sure you learned in class, force is a vector quantity. What that means is it has both magnitude and direction. The force of friction always acts to OPPOSE motion, which makes logical sense.

Take a look at the normal force and weight. If you have a book sitting on a table, not moving, the only two forces are the normal force and it's weight. The weight is m*g. The normal force is -(m*g). Note the negative sign. That shows direction. I'm not sure if you're taking calc based physics or not, but there's a trigonometric way to express that. Anyway...

Use the equation [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=m*a there. You get m*g + (-m*g) = m*a.

It's not accelerating, so you get mg - mg = 0 which makes sense.

You should be able to apply this formula to your current problem. First, it's asking you to sum up the forces on the chair. You already know the weight and normal force cancel out. You know about the pulling force, you also calculated the force of friction.

Sum them up, and note the direction of the force of friction.

Well wouldn't this be Fn=2.45*7.35 but that doesn't work I am sorry for being such a nuisance but I am not very good with equations. It would probably just work better if you show me the work and then I can try and understand it that way.

oh wait sry

it would be Fn=2.45+7.35 but that wouldn't work either

Where did you get 2.45 from?

I thought you said to put 7.35 over 3

I most certainly did not.

Sum up the forces. I've already told you what all of the forces are, and you've already calculated them all. All you need to do is put them together.

I'm going to bed now. Hope you get it. G'night.

thanks you I am going to fail the test

1. What is force and how does it affect free fall projectiles?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause a change in the motion of an object. In the context of free fall projectiles, force plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory and speed of the object. The force of gravity, which is a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2, is the main force acting on an object in free fall and is responsible for the downward motion of the projectile.

2. How does the mass of a projectile affect its free fall?

The mass of a projectile does not affect its free fall. This is because the force of gravity acts on all objects equally, regardless of their mass. This is known as the principle of equivalence and is a fundamental law of physics. Therefore, in a vacuum, all objects will fall at the same rate regardless of their mass.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in free fall projectiles?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the speed and direction of an object's motion. In free fall projectiles, the velocity of the object increases as it falls due to the constant acceleration of gravity. Acceleration, on the other hand, is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes over time. In free fall, the acceleration remains constant at 9.8 m/s^2, causing the object to increase its velocity by 9.8 m/s every second.

4. How do you calculate the maximum height and range of a projectile?

The maximum height and range of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion. The maximum height can be determined by using the formula h = v^2 sin^2(theta) / 2g, where v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The range can be calculated using the formula R = v^2 sin(2theta) / g.

5. What is the role of air resistance in free fall projectiles?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. In the case of free fall projectiles, air resistance plays a minor role in the motion of the object. This is because, in the absence of air resistance, all objects would fall at the same rate due to the force of gravity. However, in real-life scenarios, air resistance can affect the trajectory and speed of a projectile, especially at higher velocities.