Test tomorrow trouble with conversion.

• Thread starter ital_dj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: or if you want to convert a volume to a density:
ital_dj
[SOLVED] Test tomorrow... trouble with conversion.

Hi, I'm in Grade 11 Physics, and I have a Unit 1 Test tomorrow on motion and forces.

I'm not the smartest, so I can't exactly tell if the book is wrong. I'm doing a question out of the book, and was wondering what answers you guys come up with.

The question is: Calculate the net force acting on a 20kg object if the acceleration is:
a) 9.8m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]
b) 0.28m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]
c) 5669km/h[tex]^{2}[/tex]
d) (50km/h)/s

Currently, I'm stuck on c). The book says the answer is 8.8N, and I'm getting 3160N. The calculated a value I got was 158m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex].

If I'm wrong, can you tell me how to correct myself?

Thanks a lot for your help, guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
1000 m = 1 km
1 h = 3600 s

F = m a

You forgot to use the 1 h = 3600 s conversion factor twice, that is, to square it. You have to do that because acceleration needs seconds squared in the denominator.

a = (5669 km/h^2) (1000 m/1 km) (1 h/3600 s) (1 h/3600 s)

or

a = (5669 km/h^2) (1000 m/1 km) (1 h/3600 s)^2

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, but I'm still stuck here... What I've been doing is getting 5669, and dividing it by 60, then again by 60, getting me 1.57472, then I moved 3 decimals to the right, resulting in 1574.7. If I multiply that by 20 (m*a), I get 31494N. I'm still stuck. If someone can show me step how to actually solve this question, that'd be great.

a = (5669 km/h^2) (1000 m/1 km) (1 h/3600 s) (1 h/3600 s) = 0.437422839 m/s^2
F = ma = (20 kg)(0.437422839 m/s^2) = 8.74845679 N = 8.8 N

Last edited:
Thanks a lot mikelepore.

I actually just had it figured out thanks to you, right before I read your message. What I did though, was use 5669000kg/s^2 and divide it by 3600^2. That gave me the 0.43 number, and I was able to figure it out.

Thanks a lot. Your method confuses me a little though, because I'm just used to sliding decimal places instead of dealing with numbers. I'm still a little confused as to why I had to square the 3600. Thanks again.

EDIT: I assume we square the number because the seconds is already squared above, so we just add it in?

Reason you have to use the conversion factor twice is because units must obey the same laws of algebra that numbers do. See "dimensional analysis" in the index of your textbook.

If you did:
Code:
km       m          h       
----    ----       ----       
h^2     km          s

then the units will fail to cancel out to give exactly m/s^2 and nothing else.

But if you do:

Code:
km       m          h        h       
----    ----       ----    ----       
h^2     km          s        s

then the units cancel and all you are left with is m/s^2.

Ok, thanks a lot!

I'll tell you where most people make this particular type of mistake: in conversions related to area and volume. For example, suppose a certain liquid has a density of 1 g/cm^3. Let's convert that density to the SI unit of kg/m^3. To make the units cancel out properly, I'm going to have to use the conversion factor (100 cm / 1m) three times!

Code:
            g        1 kg       100 cm     100 cm    100 cm
        1 ------    -------    --------   --------  --------
           cm^3     1000 g       1 m        1 m       1 m

kg
           = 1000 ----
                   m^3

1. What is "Test tomorrow trouble with conversion?"

"Test tomorrow trouble with conversion" refers to a situation where an individual is struggling with understanding or completing a test that involves converting between different units of measurement or systems. This could include converting between metric and imperial units, or converting between different currencies.

2. Why is conversion important in tests?

Conversion is often an important skill in tests because it demonstrates an individual's ability to apply mathematical concepts and principles to real-world situations. It is also a crucial skill in fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

3. What are some common conversion formulas to know?

Some common conversion formulas include converting between Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature units, converting between meters and feet for length, and converting between grams and ounces for weight. It is important to consult reference materials for specific conversions needed for a test.

4. How can I improve my conversion skills for a test?

Practicing regularly and familiarizing yourself with common conversion formulas can help improve your conversion skills. You can also create flashcards or use online resources to quiz yourself on different conversions.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling with conversion on a test tomorrow?

If you are still struggling with conversion on a test tomorrow, it is important to remain calm and focused. Try your best to apply the conversion formulas you know, and if you are unsure about a conversion, make an educated guess. It may also be helpful to ask your teacher or a classmate for assistance or clarification. Remember to show your work and explain your thought process, as partial credit may still be awarded even if your final answer is incorrect.