What are some examples of challenging logical puzzles and questions?

• Thread starter physixguru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, Bryanp's first post is a joke about how an expert summarizer would have solved it. Andre's post is about a real life scenario in which two men order drinks from the same bar and one dies as a result.
The thing that weirds me out about this puzzle is that the interceptor can copy the key, but apparently must deliver the package as they found it. Unless the valuable object can be released from its box in which case they don't have to. Bizarre. But under those conditions there is a solution. Send a locked box with the valuable in it and no key. As there is no key to be copied, the interceptor sends it on to the friend. Then send the key in an unlocked box. The interceptor can make a copy of it, but it does them no good because the locked box is already in the hands of the friend.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
The valuable item is gold. Mold it into the shape of a key and send it in an unlocked box. The interceptor will copy the key, but so what?

Who in the world told you the valuable item is gold?
It can be anything, take the case of generality, do not mould the question according to your wishes.If you repeat this mistake, you will be debarred from the contest.

A skilled thief does not need to know rocket science to determine that the moulded item is gold.

Answer discarded.

jimmysnyder said:
The thing that weirds me out about this puzzle is that the interceptor can copy the key, but apparently must deliver the package as they found it. Unless the valuable object can be released from its box in which case they don't have to. Bizarre. But under those conditions there is a solution. Send a locked box with the valuable in it and no key. As there is no key to be copied, the interceptor sends it on to the friend. Then send the key in an unlocked box. The interceptor can make a copy of it, but it does them no good because the locked box is already in the hands of the friend.

Too many complexities.Diverting the thread from a simple puzzle to a complex trend uselessly.
It does not matter to you , it matters for the interceptor.

Answer discarded.

DaveC426913 said:
I am going to propose that the fact that there are multiple locks and multiple keys points us towards a solution of the 'Towers of Hanoi' type, or erphaps more appropriately, a farmer/wolf/sheep/plant crossing a river solution.

This is only a nominally altruistic gesture; if anyone gets the answer, I want partial credit.

Sir,
Please do not provide hints for the puzzle.Either provide the complete solution or do not participate.

I SAY THIS WITH COMPLETE RESPECT AND COURTESY.

jimmysnyder said:

Actually, it was my assumption that this is the inspiration for the correct answer. The nature of the puzzle indicates that an interceptor can copy keys but that will not stop the box from being transferred. Ultimately then, the valuable must get to the recipient, despite the fact that the interceptor has certain keys - which implies those keys are useless to him.

I am surprised Jimmy's answer was rejected, since it will work, given the parameters of the puzzle.

physixguru said:
Sir,
Please do not provide hints for the puzzle.Either provide the complete solution or do not participate.

I SAY THIS WITH COMPLETE RESPECT AND COURTESY.

Apologies. Post removed. (though you've posted it in your own post).

Send the box with a lock, then get your friend to add his own lock and send it back to you. You can then remove your lock and send the parcel back.

physixguru said:
As usual Borek, it seems you have not read the question carefully.It says that if you send the keys in an unlocked box, it can be copied en-route.

You have accused me of not reading the question, but you have failed to explain why my answer is wrong. Aim is to protect the item, not to make it impossible to copy the key. Even if thief copied the key, he is unable to open the box and steal the item.

Kurdt said:
Send the box with a lock, then get your friend to add his own lock and send it back to you. You can then remove your lock and send the parcel back.

Kurdt strikes.Excellent work.:cool:

But Kurdt , it was your second attempt, and i have to say with due respect that please do not post your answers twice.This forces me to dicard the question.

Question discarded.

Question closed.

Apologies, but I only noticed that you imposed only one attempt in the middle of the question. :tongue:

Foul! The parameters of the puzzle - to which you said "do not mould the question according to your wishes" - did not include our friend having his own set of locks and keys!

DaveC426913 said:
Foul! The parameters of the puzzle - to which you said "do not mould the question according to your wishes" - did not include our friend having his own set of locks and keys!
Read my question again, it says that the box has multiple locks.Ofcourse the answer is most satisfactory of all the other answers with no complexities.Even a lay-man would possesses locks and keys.Very general assumption.

I have already mentioned that i am not going to entertain any conflicts on the answers.
Once said, is done.

Discussion closed.

physixguru said:
Read my question again, it says that the box has multiple locks.Ofcourse the answer is most satisfactory of all the other answers with no complexities.Even a lay-man would possesses locks and keys.Very general assumption.

I have already mentioned that i am not going to entertain any conflicts on the answers.
Once said, is done.
That doesn't mean you have free license to violate the very rules you laid down.:grumpy:

"...do not mould the question according to your wishes..."

"...you have several locks and their corresponding keys..."

DaveC426913 said:
That doesn't mean you have free license to violate the very rules you laid down.:grumpy:

"...do not mould the question according to your wishes..."

"...you have several locks and their corresponding keys..."

Discarded with due respect.

physixguru said:
No more conflicts with the answer will be entertained by physixguru.I have had a talk with the moderators and anybody looking to argue on the answer,after i have mentioned,they are not mine, will be barred from answering the questions in the thread.
This is my forum and you did not get that approval from me.

Since this isn't a thread that all can sincerely play in, locked.