Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test your morality!

1. Apr 27, 2004 #1

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Take the interesting, short quiz at the link below. As the data is used in a research project the authors request no discussion after participating.

http://moral.wjh.harvard.edu/index2.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Can we at least say what we answered? It's possible to say what you put without influencing others by saying why you put that answer.

Neat test, sort of made me think.

4. Apr 28, 2004 #3
    I did the test and feel very bad about track choice.

5. Apr 28, 2004 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Don't feel bad. If they're stupid enough to walk on train tracks, they deserve to die.

6. Apr 28, 2004 #5
    Stupid people deserve to die? That's what I've been saying for years.

7. Apr 28, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

LOL... actually I have to agree. I said that the 5 men walking on the track should die.

8. Apr 28, 2004 #7

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Why not respect the author's wishes?

9. Apr 28, 2004 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

These are variations on a very common morality case study on utilitarianism. I doubt the authors really expect that people taking the quiz have not seen them.

10. Apr 28, 2004 #9

Njorl

Science Advisor

Actually, the answers don't mean anything. The authors are monitoring this thread to see who discusses the test. THAT is the test of our morality.

D'oh! I just failed.

I am reminded of a telephone survey a friend of mine did. It was to test the limits of telephone surveys. He had a list of hundreds of questions. The test was how many could he ask before people got sick of it and hung up. Since he told me about this, I never take part in any phone surveys.

Njorl

11. Apr 28, 2004 #10
    Is it even possible to get past 100 questions? I would probably hang up after one.

12. Apr 28, 2004 #11
    As far as melonscratchers go, this quiz was very difficult for me to justify. I had reasons but they didn't seem good enough to fully answer the question.

I would never take a telephone survey that had over 100 questions, id probably forget things. If they pay me though, maybe I might be able to remember :smile:

13. Apr 28, 2004 #12

ShawnD

Science Advisor

When I get asked to participate in a survey I don't even say no, I just hang up.

14. Apr 28, 2004 #13
    I'm lonely. I'd answer 200 questions just to have someone to talk to.

15. May 5, 2004 #14
    Interesting. You would save one over five? I chose to kill one, save five. The one man was worth significantly less (amazingly, one-fifth) of the amount that five men are worth. Jimmy, perhaps you should rethink your answer and pretend that you're one of the five men. Then would you kill the five?

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  16. May 5, 2004 #15
    Ohhhh, poor puppy! I'll be your friend, trib. (even if Jimmy won't :wink: ) Oh, and, are you willing to take me up on that offer? I can think of 200 questions if you want me to. :biggrin:

Chaos. Disorder. Widespread panic. My work is done here.

17. May 5, 2004 #16

ShawnD

Science Advisor

You're stuck in the realm of natural numbers. Instead of thinking about how many lives you save, think about how much value those people truly have. If these people are walking on train tracks, we can right away assume that they would contaminate the gene pool if they were to have kids. So instead of having their value as +5 lives, it's actually -5 in eugenics. So you have to choose between killing -1 and -5. -5 brings the race down a lot more; therefore, it's ok to off them.
    Sounds harsh but they knew the risks involved when they started walking on the tracks.

18. May 6, 2004 #17

jimmy p

Gold Member

Well these 5 men were deliberately walking on the track. They knew the consequences. I would never be one of those guys. I'd be the one that you push in the way to save those 5.

I suppose you could say you cant play God. Let "nature" take its course. The 5 stupid track walkers become railkill and the one who wasnt doing anything wrong should survive.

19. May 7, 2004 #18
    Did anyone else see the obviously better solution to the hospital question?

20. May 7, 2004 #19

ShawnD

Science Advisor

What hospital question? There were only 4 questions and they're all about a train. 1 as some dude, 1 as the guy driving the train, one as a lady on the train, one as some other guy.

21. May 9, 2004 #20
    I failed the test... I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?