1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing for Convergence

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1
    We just learned Alternating Series, but I am still unsure of the procedure. A couple of problems in the book have stumped me, and I need to test them for convergence.

1. Sum n=1 going to infinity of [cos(n*pi) / (n^(7/8))]
    2. Sum n=1 going to infinity of (-n/5)^n

I am really lost, I'd really appreciate the help...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2
    Okay, an alternating series converges if the absolute value of the terms in it approaches zero. It's basically as if you take a big step forwards, a smaller step back, an even smaller step forwards and so on. Try it yourself (but not in class or you'll get funny looks).

1) cos(n * pi) is 1 for n even and -1 for n odd. So your series is basically just

-1/(1^7/8) + 1/(2^7/8) -1/(3^7/8) + ...

All you have to do now is show that as n->infinity, 1/(n^7/8) -> 0, and you should have no problem with that.

2) Just rewrite this as ((-1)^n)/(5^n) and observe that (-1)^n is positive for even n and negative for odd n, so you have an alternating series. Then this question is pretty much the same as the last one.

4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    so for #1, i should check the lim as n -> infinity of bn and see if it equals 0? and bn in this case is [cos(n*pi) / (n^(7/8))] ... cause according to the alternating series theorem, if the limit = 0, then it is convergent...

havent gotten to #2 yet. stay tuned ;)

5. Apr 6, 2004 #4
    Yeah, that's pretty much right. For these questions you need to a) show they're alternating and b) the limit as n -> inf is zero.

6. Apr 6, 2004 #5
    ok, did them, lets see if they're right.

1) lim n->inf [cos(n*pi) / (n^(7/8))] = 1/inf == 0 therefore, the Sum is convergent

2) lim n->inf 5^(-n) == 0 and therefore, the Sum is also convergent

yes? no? thanks for your help

7. Apr 6, 2004 #6
    Bingo.

Wasn't as hard as all that cos(n*pi) stuff made it look, eh? Just be glad they didn't ask you what the thing actully converged to; that's much harder.

8. Apr 6, 2004 #7
    oh i know, thanks again for the help. really helped alot. i'm always pleased with the helpfulness this site brings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?