Can GW detectors detect scalar and vector radiation modes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for using gravitational wave detectors to test General Relativity versus other gravity theories. The paper referenced focuses on exploring this avenue in more depth, but the person speaking is skeptical of the feasibility of detecting scalar radiation modes with the current generation of detectors. They also mention their familiarity with scalar modes in Brans-Dicke theory, but are unsure about the production and detection of vector radiation.
PAllen
Science Advisor
Literally running out the door, but came upon this. It seems to be a really interesting avenue to test GR vs. other gravity theories using hoped for GW detectors.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.2585

Physics news on Phys.org
PAllen said:
Literally running out the door, but came upon this. It seems to be a really interesting avenue to test GR vs. other gravity theories using hoped for GW detectors.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.2585

That's really interesting! This is essentially a more in depth theoretical analysis of a project I worked this past summer (unfortunately, not published). The prospect is certainly tantalizing, but realistically I am dubious. I've found that the response to scalar radiation modes in a LIGO network is down by roughly a factor of ten as compared to the tensor modes of radiation. As the paper notes, we have some constraints on how strong this scalar radiation can be from the Hulse-Taylor system. So it seems unlikely that if there were a scalar component to radiation that we would be able to detect it with the advanced-LIGO generation of detectors. As far as vector radiation is concerned, the LIGO detectors are generally much more responsive to this (comparable to tensor radiation, actually).

Since scalar modes are present in your run of the mill Brans-Dicke theory, they are the ones I understand the best. I'm not sure entirely how vector radiation is produced, and haven't looked in detail at possible sources for this, so I can't say much about its detection.

1. What is GR and how does it relate to GW detectors?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 1900s. GW detectors, or gravitational wave detectors, are instruments designed to detect and measure the ripples in space-time predicted by GR. These detectors help to test and validate the predictions of GR.

2. How do GW detectors work?

GW detectors use lasers and mirrors to measure tiny distortions in space caused by passing gravitational waves. When a gravitational wave passes through the detector, it causes a slight change in the distance between the mirrors, which is then measured by the laser. This allows scientists to detect and study gravitational waves.

3. What types of events can be detected by GW detectors?

GW detectors are sensitive to a variety of astrophysical events, such as the collision of two black holes or neutron stars, supernovae explosions, and even the early universe. These events produce gravitational waves that can be detected by GW detectors and provide valuable information about the nature of gravity and the universe.

4. What have we learned about GR from GW detectors?

GW detectors have provided strong evidence for the existence of gravitational waves, which were predicted by GR. They have also confirmed the predictions of GR in extreme environments, such as the strong gravitational fields of black holes and neutron stars. Additionally, GW detectors have helped to rule out alternative theories of gravity and have provided new insights into the nature of space and time.

5. How will future GW detectors improve our understanding of GR?

Future GW detectors, such as the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA), will have even greater sensitivity and be able to detect a wider range of gravitational waves. This will allow scientists to study more events and test GR in even more extreme environments. By improving our understanding of GR, we can also gain a better understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.