1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Ground in a Building

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    We have jack in our lab that is suppose to be connected to ground, but the building is old, and we are not sure if we can trust that it is actually connected to ground. Is there a way to test the ground? If so, what is that way?

Sincerely,

Dr. Erzaask

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2
    Is this an electrical question or a mechanical one?

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3
    This is an electrical question.

We would like to know if we connected our system to the rooms electrical ground socket, the system is actually ground. We want to be able to test the electrical ground in the building. Also when I say ground socket, I do not mean the third prong on a wall socket. There is an actual ground socket in the lab room that is labeled ground.

5. Jun 6, 2012 #4
    Well I don't know where in the world you are but most places have their own national codes about such grounds and their testing.

On problem which such local grounds is that require periodic retesting because the conditions at the local ground terminal where it is connected to ground may change with time.

6. Jun 6, 2012 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can just buy one of these testers at the hardware store for about $10:

http://www.microcenter.com/images/shared/products/0209814_338202.jpg
    0209814_338202.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook